Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Honda Civic LX - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Promising_Confinement Send a message via Yahoo to Promising_Confinement
Fuel efficiency and video games.

I didn't know where else to put this, since video games involve technology I figured this would be a good shot.

I've been a gamer almost literally my whole life (I'm 29 and I've been gaming since I was around 2) ... and while I'm not into the style of game at all, I thought it might be valid.

I just recently (like, the other day) picked up Gran Turismo 5 for 30 bucks. While it's definitely not in my genre of racing game (because in the end they're not quite as "balls to the wall" as I'd like) it was cheap. I tend to go more for the arcade style racers like Need for Speed Underground and Burnout because I'm not a car guy by any stretch of the imagination. I can change a tire and do brakes. That's about it.

But in what I've read about hypermiling, it has it's similarities with racing in the fact that they both encourage you to drive as efficiently as possible. The media are always saying that games like GTA and Call of Duty train killers, couldn't simulation style games like Gran Turismo and Forza help one attain better gas mileage?

Like with the racing lines these games encourage, they're meant to be the ideal spot to maintain as much speed as possible, wouldn't that be the same thing in hypermiling to KEEP your speed as much as possible so as not to hit the gas pedal as often?

Of course, racing and street driving are much much different, but I find myself using racing lines a lot in my general day to day driving. There's a stretch of road through the city I live in where, after 11 at night, all the lights just blink yellow. So I can just literally throw my car into neutral and coast the entire way all the way through those lights, and using a racing line, I can navigate the right turn to my house with ease without ever having to hit the gas.

Just thought this might be something worth bringing up since I've always been a gamer, and racing games are only getting more and more advanced. I think people could use games like these (and some common sense) to help themselves out to an extent ... and of course, for those into these kinds of games, have fun.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Well, it's a bit of a stretch but I see what you're saying. The racing line is one piece of the puzzle, but I think that the important anticipation factor that's present in hypermiling is probably absent in video games.

But take that for what it's worth - my system is the N64, and I'm not much of a gamer anyway.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
i did notice the same thing back when i started. we have a section of downhill near our house that, when no one is around, i can take the best line and keep momentum the whole way to the development. and if no one is still around, i can manage the cross traffic left turn and a good 6 houses in befor i have to bump start it.

(as an asside - we have come along way in gaming from Rad Racer to GT5)

Steve

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
Reply  Post New Thread