Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: What grade gas do you use?
Regular 51 82.26%
Midgrade 7 11.29%
Premium 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

The Mach .05 - '98 Chevy Metro LSi
90 day: 48.88 mpg (US)
Regular Versus Premium Gasoline

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
I use regular. I tried one tank with premium, and got relatively lousy mpg (29!). Despite the relatively high compression (~10.5:1, similar to the Matrix/Vibe), it seems to run best on cheap gas. E10 may or may not be an issue with the 1NZ-FE, as well. I'm sort of currently studying that.

Interestingly, I get my best tanks with Indian reservation gas, as it generally doesn't have ethanol, and racists insist that it's "watered down." Plus, it's generally $.30/gal cheaper than everywhere else.
...never mind that you can't water down gasoline. High school physics/chemistry is apparently beyond the grasp of the average person.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Regular for me, we get ripped off in Canada as they charge at least 10 cents more per litre for premium which is 38 cents a gallon. Also my beaters certainly don't require premium and the price gouging isn't offset by any possible mileage gains.
All my small engines get premium as they don't have knock sensors to retard timing if needed for some reason, plus gas for them is a very small percentage of their operating cost and premium doesn't have ethanol in it. Ethanol attracts water which could be bad for things that are only run once a month.
Ian

Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Hmm... I use the cheap stuff in a 98 1L metro (and everything else) and use plenty of throttle. I can only make it ping when I advance the timing too far. <shrug>
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Both -- mostly through the booster line directly to the engine.

I perform routine maintenance and tune-ups on friend's and family's cars -- they just bring them over to "Rick's Garage". All of them get the Seafoam treatment in the tank and through the booster line.

One success story is on a low-mileage '95 Mercury Mystique 4-cylinder/auto. It's driven 5 miles/day to and from work. It was REALLY gunked up with carbon. The idle-air control valve got loaded-up and the idle speed was abnormally low -- shook the car like crazy. Either the treatment was to fix it, or replace it (difficult spot on the underside of the engine). So far, the Seafoam (and 10 miles of white smoke) did the trick.

One gunk preventer I have on the 'Teg is a PCV catch container. It's basically an air compressor moisture collector, attached inline between the PCV valve and the intake...
Hey, are you on BITOG? LOL
Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
Hey, are you on BITOG? LOL
Yeah, I've read some of Bob's stuff

I'm not trying to sell the product if that's the implication. Use Auto-Rx or similar solvents to achieve the goal if the People want choice.

I change the oil every so often. Usually when it's a quart low, it's time (5-7k miles). The catch can is there to prevent the gunk.

I tinker with cars for fun (and it saves people money -- unless I break something and call in a real mechanic )

RH77

_
_
Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

E-Class - '04 MB Mercedes E320 4Matic

Matrix - '09 Toyota Toyota Matrix 2.4L AWD Sports Package
For me, it is Octane 89 for the Matrix and 91 for the MB E Class. I have for a couple of times used regular fuel on the MB through mistakes of my own or those of the men/women serving at the pump despite that the manual says premium fuel only (don't laugh, in Richmond, BC, there are no "self serve" pumps). No issues whatsoever. I presume that the MB's ECU has adjusted to cope. I have also used premium fuel on a former car, a Yaris, which only needed regular fuel, and noticed no difference in the FE.
There are many factors that can affect a car's FE and my personal experience with just a few tanks can hardly help conclude anything.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:02 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Yeah, I've read some of Bob's stuff

I'm not trying to sell the product if that's the implication. Use Auto-Rx or similar solvents to achieve the goal if the People want choice.

I change the oil every so often. Usually when it's a quart low, it's time (5-7k miles). The catch can is there to prevent the gunk.

I tinker with cars for fun (and it saves people money -- unless I break something and call in a real mechanic )

RH77
You're obviously a corporate shill. Go back to your cave!

Seriously, the catch can is the giveaway. I have one, too. Tee hee.

It's an excellent site, and I for one am not afraid to proclaim it's awesomeness.

Bob Is The Oil Guy

Between the great tribological minds there and the great economical/aerodynamic minds here it's like Harvard & MIT.

Reply  Post New Thread