Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

what would your ideal MPG computer be?

I think I posted something similar before but as time goes i'm refining various ideas in my head on various things...

What is your wishlist for what a mileage-centric computer would show you?

I'm hoping at some point, whether it's by myself, or working with others, or whatever it is, to figure out some kind of a project for coming up with such a thing. Knowing what it should display is kind of the first step. Because I expect to use such a thing both under conditions of towing as well as going uphill (long runs into the mountains) my needs are more demanding than most.

What I most would want would be a color 2d LCD monitor showing me the specific fuel consumption map of the car - as well as where on that map I currently am. I want it to replace the tachometer, for left to right, and to show me my actual throttle position, for up to down, so I can actually see where I am and alter my driving accordingly. I also want it animated in response to forced induction boost levels - because the SFC map is different under 50% throttle position and 2000rpm at 2psi than it is at 8psi - and the load can change without me touching the throttle with things like turbochargers. I'm hoping with enough exposure, i'll have memorized and be able to reliably predict, so that I can stay in the "well" of lowest SFC - applying P&G driving technique under any relevant conditions including towing things uphill.

That would be a 2nd part of this too actually - a pulse and glide computer. I'm still not sure what it should show or exactly how to calculate this, but i'd want something that could, for instance, help me figure out the perfect speed range to P&G for under any condition - including which conditions under which to abandon it. Basically I want a display showing me what i'd term red, yellow and green zones. Green means that for having done the math in the past, the total cost-per-mile (this is more than mileage, a 5% fuel efficiency increase and a 20% higher maintenance figure is a loss) is an Absolute Win under these conditions. Yellow would mean that i'm trading maintenance costs for fuel efficiency - yes it's better fuel efficiency and maybe i'm low on gas and everything is closed at 3am and i'm trying to just get to the next open gas station. : P Red would mean no, you are better off under steady state cruising rpm.

The thing is that i'm not sure how to best calculate this under conditions of towing. The aerodynamic load changes based on what you are pulling, and the weight could vary all over the map. The environmental conditions of uphill or downhill, of stiff front winds or side winds or tail winds changes it. Of slogging through snow vs running on clean roads. And everything changes if i'm sharing the road with others so that I cannot go as fast, or coast down to as slow, as I would like to. My goal would be to figure out a ruleset that can pretty accurately predict all the above, showing me the red/yellow/green conditions so that all I have to focus on is just the driving when i'm actually driving. I don't want to be running numbers in my head in heavy traffic.

It is possible that a third purpose for such an MPG computer could be research and recording - things like coast down tests. I want to try an aeromod so it keeps track of two separate runs so I can see whether it reduced drag and how much, and an estimated fuel savings if I keep that mod on. This could be more useful for say if i'm hauling something aerodynamically awkward I just picked up, and therefore cant CAD model it in on the computer to figure out an ideal shape. I'm trying to bring it home at 25mpg instead of 18mpg and all I have with are my sheets of cardboard and duct tape. I could do a few simple "street tests" and come down with an approximation.

To that i'd probably add some maintenance tracking to boot if i'm going to computerize that far... since this is about cost-per-mile, not exclusively fuel efficiency, with netbooks being as cheap as they are, I would just have a dedicated netbook, normal PC software, something anyone can download and add to and similar, along with some kind of interface to OBD 1/2/3 or other sensors for those who don't have computerized diagnostics but still want to use it to calculate the mileage. I'd want to be able to use real measured SFC maps along with best guess or extrapolated ones - so if you dyno your eco-car you can use the exact results of a test, or you can look up factory figures and even if you may not be in perfect tune or that exactly you can get pretty close based off the engineering team's results for whatever you drive.

You might as well add record tracking - type in how many gallons you filled up to track what you actually are getting. Maybe have it track certain conditions of load, average speed and similar to give you a longer term view. At some point you might even be able to turn that data logging into predictive ability - ie a data analysis that shows that you are normally towing in X rpm range most of the time, and going from a 3.73 to a 3.48 rear axle ratio would put the engine more in the sweet spot, or that you spend so much time in P&G mode vs steady state mode so it would help figure out what changes are worth making to your total setup.

So thats my wishlist, what would you want to add to that if you could?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
I'd like one like the current Eco UG with a short trip and tank trip average density altitude!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Expanding slightly, i'd like to see something that dynamically calculates pulse and glide MPG by showing how much fuel is being used to coast up to X speed, and how long the glide was... basically it tells you the MPG for the last P&G cycle, probably in a 'ticker tape' type fashion (like instead of a list of numbers or only the recent number, say it displays a range of 30-50mpg, and every P&G leaves a bar so you can see what you are averaging in real time, calculated total fuel usage per mile)

For that matter putting in "potential fuel stops" on a planned route - or at least on a linear "miles from here" where you can enter a few figures like the next 3 known fuel stops, because for instance prices can vary hugely when going through the mountains, can your remaining fuel get you to the base of the mountain on the other side where it's cheaper than that one single only gas station that's 50 cents higher at the top?

For that matter a calculator, to compare filling up a half full tank at price one, vs waiting longer and filling it up later at price two, or whether the estimated time to pull off and fill up is worth it at all for how much it brings down your average trip speed. Should I drive 60mph and stop twice, getting cheaper gas just before the mountain, or 55mph and stop once to arrive at the same time? Should I drive 70mph to get to the gas station that closes at 10pm to get it cheaper, or 55mph to pay more for the all night station? Should I go 12 miles out of the way to fill up at 12 cents less per gallon that I just heard on the CB? These kind of questions are all suited well to a computer, not a tired driver focusing on driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
I'd like one like the current Eco UG with a short trip and tank trip average density altitude!
Whats this mean? I didn't understand a word you just said. : P
Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Won't say it's not do-able, but it does sound very complex, in that (from what you describe) the computer will need to know about current local (to you) weather, current local traffic, current local terrain,and so on in order to do the predictions you describe.

I'd be happy with a MPG computer that can both tell me what I'm currently doing in simple terms (like the Scangauge), as well as record what I've done in detail, aggregating the local details after the fact if necessary, so that I can later (when I'm out of the car) view and compare against previous times I've taken the same route. Video capture would be nice too, so I can remind myself why I used brakes on a particular day and not on another (for instance).

Of course, I can sit here imagining I would take advantage of it, but probably wouldn't in actuality since there are other things I'd rather do instead... so the Scangauge is just perfect, in fact.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post

Whats this mean? I didn't understand a word you just said. : P

The gauge would have to sample station pressure(which is atmospheric pressure uncorrected for altitude), ambient temps and humidity at least every minute to give a good average.

Atmospheric pressure changes with elevation changes. If you drop 200 ft then the pressure would also rise .2" or thereabouts.

Density altitude is a measurement of station pressure, temperature and humidity combined to calculate what altitude the current air density is equal to.

Here in Atlanta the elevation is around 1000 ft ASL, but I have seen DA's as high as 3700 ft.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
I would like to see a MPG computer that had/used these inputs:

• Tire-revolutions-per-mile, for better MILAGE accuracy.
• One-button entry of fuel consumption, for better GALS accuracy.
• "Smarter" CPU recognition of Engine-Off coasting.
• Display of CPU determination of fuel OCTANE number, 87-oct gasoline is not same as E15 mixture!
• Better CPU estimation of "road load HP" at speeds.
• CPU estimated Cd via CdA calculation using user-inputted vehicle A values.

Reply  Post New Thread