Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
I partially agree with you, but let's face it, conventional fission plants have a few HUGE drawbacks, drawbacks that are addressed and conquored by a hybrid reactor.

2a) Waste stream. The Yucca mountain storage site in NV is fully subscribed with existing spent fuel rods from the few nuclear fission plants in the US today (fuel rods that have been blocked from being moved, if allowed to be moved, would fill the Yucca mountain facility). In order for that technology to replace oil fired plants, you'd need a Yucca mountain facility every couple years. Unless public opposition changes, more fission plants in the US sounds to me like a non-starter.
A Penny-Sized Nuclear Battery Could Keep Going, and Going… | 80beats | Discover Magazine

Perhaps create a use for nuclear waste that also "Wears" it out?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Why pursue pie in the sky at the cost of billions when we have the technology proven here today? We've had it for more than 40 years infact.

Thorium Cycle Reactors

We already mine the coal and have plenty of it ... the waste degrades quickly ... the reactors are safe ... what are we waiting for?

People to die off from war and starvation to the extent the elites want first I suppose.

Thing is there is no energy shortage... oil is not running out anytime soon and the earth is going through a normal run-of-the-mill post ice age warming period. But people are easily (mis)led and the beat goes on. We should just get started building and usher in the electro-hydrogen economy today.

Last edited by nmgolfer; 10-16-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread