Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Nice job Oval. How long have you been at it and have you have a chance to see how much money you have saved with the car-xtomy?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Unicorn - '12 Nissan Versa 1.8S hatch
90 day: 31.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90crxHF View Post
I am currently 25.2 miles from work (one-way) and to be honest, I don't want to live any closer. In fact, I want to get further out. Houston sucks.
Yup. Thats why Kal lives with me. He's from the west side of Houston

~Jimbo

Quote:
Hehehe... If one of your facial lacerations leaves a small scar, you'll have a SCarlett.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
that is the best ecomod success of all.
I did the same thing, within miles of daily life.
I had an 80 mile trek from central maine to bangor..the trip of bad roads, and alot of times coastal weather versus mountain like...for days and weeks, I snapped parts not even baja extremists would believe.
Now today
my gas chart doesn't get updated often. I wait until the 500 mile round trip I take once and awhile....
would love to strap a small moped/scooter something outside and use that too.
I was handicapped bad enough where bikes was no option, but I feel too old now at 37.
37 ain't old. My boss is 53 and can still put me to shame when it comes to human power. You should check out an eGo scooter... eGo
Mine is really old, so the batteries are pretty shot, but I still love it. Its hard to beat riding a whole year on the cost of a gallon of 89 octane, and $70 per year insurance.

~Jimbo

Quote:
Hehehe... If one of your facial lacerations leaves a small scar, you'll have a SCarlett.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Nice job Oval. How long have you been at it and have you have a chance to see how much money you have saved with the car-xtomy?
Sorry about the repeat posts.

Carxtomy. Nice. That should be added to the official EM dictionary (do we have one?). This is my fourth month working at The Electric Vehicle Store.

In my previous life, lived on the Wisconsin border with my parents and drove a '98 Ford Torturous. "Angila" got an abysmal 25 mpg on a down-slope with a tailwind. She got 25 mpg driving up a mountain pulling a house. She got 25 mpg driving upside down through a pool of raspberry Jell-O.

Eventually I acquired a spaceframe Saturn. It would drive to the moon and back on nothing but a liter of the tears of angels. Then I crashed it. I took this as a sign and dove head first into hippy-ism.

When I drove the ford, I was burning two tanks a month, about 28 gallons. at an average of $3.50/gallon, thats nearly $1200/year. I spent probably another $1200/year keeping that tin can road worthy. That is 6.15 tons of Co2/year, btw.

I only drove SCarlett (the Saturn) for four months, but they were a blissful four months. I was only burning 20 gallons per month, but I was driving twice as far. Angel tears, they do the trick. That works out to a theoretical one year fuel cost of $840. In those four months, I probably spent $200 on maintenance, or a theoretical $600/year. Of course, after the crash, I had to use the Ford again. This really helped the economics of moving to Minneapolis.

If I had stayed at my parents house, I probably would have been responsible for the insurance, about $1200/year no mater what old thang I drive.

$3600 per year for car expenses, and $720 per year for parking... $4320. I pay $4800 per year for housing expenses, and given the extra hours I pick up because I am now closer to the shop than the other mechanic, I profit. Plus, I am no longer driving 35 miles home at night while tired, I save money by being able to run home for lunch, and I don't live with my parents. Take note: that last one is a biggie.

I moved two months ago, and so far, things are great. I've abandoned gasoline, I am vegetarian, I recycle everything, I never buy new things, and I help other people get off petroleum. I'm hippy to the max

As a conclusion, I guess I haven't really saved money, I simply transfered my expenses from something unpleasant into something wonderful.

~Jimbo

Quote:

Last edited by Oval_Overload; 02-19-2010 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
If my plans work out, I won't have a "commute to work". Ever. Again.

Here's to hoping and working toward a goal.

Nice job on the move, and as long as everything is working out for you, it's just what you needed!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Step one: Collect underpants
Step two: Christ's plan
Step three: Profit!

~Jimbo

Quote:
Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval_Overload View Post
Step one: Collect underpants
Step two: Christ's plan
Step three: Profit!

~Jimbo

Yeah, it was pretty vague, wasn't it?

Well, I'm a "Jack" (That guy that can fix just about anything with bubble gum... If they'd start making it like they used to again.)

I'm part owner (with my Father) of a backhoe, and truck/trailer capable of hauling aforementioned instrument of burden, and currently looking for a dump truck as well.

Include with that the ability to find/fix cars cheaply, or part them out for a good profit, I'm hoping that with all the other little things I do, I won't have to work for someone else for a very long time, if ever.

Eventually, I'll just live alone with my Wife and Son (and whatever other spawn we create), and ultimately live off what we have amassed at that point.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Sounds like a hell of a plan, Christ, and just the sort of thing you would do. As long as your life revolves around something other than money, you will be happy.

~Jimbo

Quote:
Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Good plan.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Its official. I no longer posses a petroleum powered car. Well, I still own the Saturn, but ya'll know that story.

I drove the Ford to my parent's house, parked it between the Saturn and the Xebra, and biked the 38 miles home. Bear in mind that I'm in Minnesota, and its February.

~Jimbo

Quote:
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bike, bus, electric car, scooter