Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Do you think gasoline/diesel price-fixing is a common thing?
Probably 21 87.50%
Unlikely 2 8.33%
Free the markets! End government bureaucratic interference now! 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...two ways of making BIG money:

1) PRINT it -- gobberments

2) STEAL it -- corporations.

Last edited by gone-ot; 03-21-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I think the distinction is evidence of collusion
Agreed. And it is the same standard at the national level. But at the international level, the standard of collusion collapses. Thus, OPEC colludes on capacity in order to set a price and it is not illegal. OPEC is the lead player in a global oligopoly.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
In my hometown Weston, WI. The station owners used to set down each day bright and early and decide on price at a local restaurant, I got to sit nearby as they discussed the fuel price for the day when I was up early to go to a craft show.

I have no doubt that they still do that, it is worth noting that my hometown is almost always 5 cents to as much as 20 cents per gallon more than other nearby areas. I can't remember them ever being cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Agreed. And it is the same standard at the national level. But at the international level, the standard of collusion collapses. Thus, OPEC colludes on capacity in order to set a price and it is not illegal. OPEC is the lead player in a global oligopoly.
This isn't exactly true, of coarse I am talking a national level still but Opec has many times wanted to lower prices in recent years but was not able due to the market price not being dictated by the price out of the ground but instead the price the middlemen in the commodities market set, which is run like a stock market and has much less to do with any real price stimulous and everything to do with feelings and manipulation.

Cut out the middleman and the prices might stablize around the real market price. Right now there is huge anti-market activity going on within the commdities trade making it so demand and price no longer coorelate.

You can thank Reagan for the oil commodities market having no real controls set on it.

Last edited by rmay635703; 03-21-2012 at 07:40 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I've noticed in my town that when "all" the stations raise their *matching* prices, I have until 10pm that evening to fill up at one station that always lags behind a bit and then matches those higher prices first thing the next morning. When the jump is over 10 cents/gallon (and it often is these days) it can be worth it to make a special trip to fill up, but only because for me, the station is only a mile away.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
live, breath, Isuzu-Ds

puddle jumper - '93 Suzuki sidekick base model

energizer bunny - '86 isuzu trooper base model

Clifford the big red dog - '84 GM S-10 durango
wilcoxandflegel

i call them wilcoxandfleez-yea

has a major fix in my area, they run or sell fuel to most every fuel site in the area.

only the AM/PM stores and a few others, are getting there's from else where.
i personally think AM\PM is guilty of running more then the 10% ethanol.
cause i get extra crappy mpg on there gas....and its not worth the 10/15 cents per gal savings. when you look at it in cost per mile....
1993 sidekick my MPG toy, epa rating 26.
i get 29/31 with stock drive train.

Last edited by trooper Tdiesel; 03-21-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
In my hometown Weston, WI. The station owners used to set down each day bright and early and decide on price at a local restaurant, I got to sit nearby as they discussed the fuel price for the day when I was up early to go to a craft show.

I have no doubt that they still do that, it is worth noting that my hometown is almost always 5 cents to as much as 20 cents per gallon more than other nearby areas. I can't remember them ever being cheaper.

This isn't exactly true, of coarse I am talking a national level still but Opec has many times wanted to lower prices in recent years but was not able due to the market price not being dictated by the price out of the ground but instead the price the middlemen in the commodities market set, which is run like a stock market and has much less to do with any real price stimulous and everything to do with feelings and manipulation.

Cut out the middleman and the prices might stablize around the real market price. Right now there is huge anti-market activity going on within the commdities trade making it so demand and price no longer coorelate.

You can thank Reagan for the oil commodities market having no real controls set on it.
Good point about the futures speculators. But though it suggests the limits of OPEC power on the final price, it does not disprove the presence of an oligopoly. I also don't think it follows that removing the middlemen would create a "real market" because removing speculators would only increase the oligopoly's relative pricing power. Prices would move differently, but not freely. Efforts by OPEC to artificially lower prices such as you cite are often either geopolitical or market manipulative in nature, not responses to competition or demand. One reason they have wanted to keep prices down is to dampen the relative appeal of alternative fuel development. IIRC, in the recent past OPEC announced they were pricing into oil the cost to their revenues of ethanol/gasoline mixtures. Such efforts are consistent with a market structured as an oligopoly. If speculators step in and run the price up that's a separate problem. But I agree the speculators are a complicating element and an important one.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
It seems my area has a similar setup. Most if not all the gas stations will jump/drop together at about the same time. I have been buying gas at a station closer to my house which is more of a smaller station and for what ever reasion, I get better MPG out of their 5-10 cents / gal higher prices which makes it a savings for me. They confirmed there is ethanol in the gas, so i'm guessing either they are the correct 10% mix, or lower than the others in the area. The worker didn't know what the mix was, he just knew there was ethanol in the gas.

Would love to see a ethanol free gas station in the area....
Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
You guys are worried about a few retail outlets selling a few thousand gallons per week. I live in a city with several of the worlds' largest refineries. This is not Houston the sixth largest city in North America, but a "city" smaller than some of the suburbs of that city. We're just a few hundred thousand people several hundred miles away from any other metro areas, large or small.

Do you think our fuel prices are the lowest in the State? In the nation? After all, there is no transportation "cost" worthy of the name to distribute fuel locally.

Ha!

And I wouldn't drive a half mile out of my way to "save" on fuel unless the difference was 10% not 10-cents per gallon.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I would dive a half mile to save 10 cents / gal! I normally get 9-10 gals so that is $1 saved with an extra cost of 9 cents + ~2 mins of my time extra... that is ~$15.30 per hour which isn't the greatest, but is better than nothing. I guess it would come down to do you have more time than money, or more money than time.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I fill when I see the price jump AND I can buy enough i.e. I've been vaguely aware that the thirsty pickup is getting near empty so might as well fill it- and some gas cans too- before the jump and save $4-5.00 or more. No, if the car has half a tank, that isn't enough to prompt a special trip.

Reply  Post New Thread