Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
[QUOTE=XYZ;435805]Very true. Might as well buy gas where it is cheapest. When you buy from an unbranded station, the gas your are buying is usually surplus gas from a branded shipment. You won't know what brand it is, but it doesn't matter.

The only time I ever noticed a difference in mileage was decades ago when Shell was advertising it's superiority with inclusion of an additive called "platformate".
[QUOTE=XYZ;435805]
Shell now promotes nitrogen blended gasoline ... shell and chevron are the higher priced gasoline. FYI just a side note following WW2(bandofbrother) Dupont came up with the idea of leaded gasoline and standard oil among others forced this on the American public. Once New York city and others during the following years realized that we had a public health issue from refine lead gasoline.Therefore you can no longer purchase the stuff.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
No, that's not true either. I have a car that is in storage for more than six months per year and have been doing that for decades. Never had any problem with gas left in it.
It may not be true for everyone but my car had the same gas for about 3 months and had started stalling when it was stopped. However as soon as I refueled the problem stopped and I've had no issues since. The only difference is the gas I haven't done anything else to try to fix the problem so that leads me to believe that the problem was old gas.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
Shell now promotes nitrogen blended gasoline ... shell and chevron are the higher priced gasoline. FYI just a side note following WW2(bandofbrother) Dupont came up with the idea of leaded gasoline and standard oil among others forced this on the American public. Once New York city and others during the following years realized that we had a public health issue from refine lead gasoline.Therefore you can no longer purchase the stuff.
I know of several places you can get leaded gasoline

Old 07-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
It may not be true for everyone but my car had the same gas for about 3 months and had started stalling when it was stopped
that might be good for FE !

Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Pontiac
I thought so too but then I only got 26 mpg off that tank. Lol

Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
FYI just a side note following WW2(bandofbrother) Dupont came up with the idea of leaded gasoline and standard oil among others forced this on the American public.
Quote:
While most oil companies were switching to leaded gasolines en masse during the mid-to-late 1920s, American Oil chose to continue marketing its premium-grade "Amoco-Gas" (later Amoco Super-Premium) as a lead-free gasoline
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoco

Most underground fuel tanks in the past contained water. I remember my dad needing to stick (think very long ruler) the tanks to determine how much fuel and water were in the tank.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure that there is more logical explanation for all of this but it sure seems that Sunoco gas yields worse MPG than Wawa. I would really expect Sunoco to have better fuel considering it's the "official fuel of NASCAR" but I think I'm a convert back to the cheap stuff. Can't say that either brand yields a better/smoother running engine so the only thing that really matters is the MPG results...

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Just got my best tank average ever with my Mustang on 07-04 with 87 octane regular from Safeway (grocery chain). Safeway has about the best price in town for gasoline and #2 diesel fuel. And they offer discounts relative to one's grocery expenditures. I've never had a problem with their fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.

Last edited by Mustang Dave; 07-17-2014 at 11:21 PM..
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
It may not be true for everyone but my car had the same gas for about 3 months and had started stalling when it was stopped. However as soon as I refueled the problem stopped and I've had no issues since. The only difference is the gas I haven't done anything else to try to fix the problem so that leads me to believe that the problem was old gas.
Truth and fact are the same concept, and they are universal. Fact pertains to everyone.

Actually, I accept that your experience may be true, even believable as you related it.

Quote:
The only difference is the gas I haven't done anything else to try to fix the problem so that leads me to believe that the problem was old gas.
You led yourself to believe something. That is where fact becomes disregarded and it becomes a belief.

There may be other explanations for your experience that have a factual basis other than belief. Think about it.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoco

Most underground fuel tanks in the past contained water. I remember my dad needing to stick (think very long ruler) the tanks to determine how much fuel and water were in the tank.
My father owned a gas station in the 1930's and worked in the automotive trade, both before and after WWII when he served in the war. Using a measuring stick to check the tank level probably was still in practice until the 1960's, maybe even later, depending on the location. Maybe it's still done today. I'm not in that business, so I can't say.

The stick with graduate markings was used to measure however much liquid was left in the tank. Q: If there was any water in the tank, where would it be? On the top or on the bottom?

This is why he said never to fuel up when the gas truck was making a delivery.

Reply  Post New Thread