Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
I would really expect Sunoco to have better fuel considering it's the "official fuel of NASCAR"...
Why in the world would you think that? Like any other endorsement, the "official fuel of NASCAR" label goes to the highest bidder.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,578 Times in 7,064 Posts
Hot VWs - February 2009 - Project Mileage Motor - Part 16
Testing some hi-octane Texas Premium

I'll bet the Texas part is mis-direction. They really got it in Tulsa.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
TexasCotton (07-18-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda 626 - '80 Mazda 626 Base
If water and gasoline are in the same container, water is on the bottom. I've seen them together in a jar. Yellowish gasoline on top of clear water.

I once read an article about a gas station that pumped it's gas with water. The water was filled into the gas storage tank, and the water pressure pushed the gas out of the top of the storage tank and was directed to the fill nozzle.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Truth and fact are the same concept, and they are universal. Fact pertains to everyone.

Actually, I accept that your experience may be true, even believable as you related it.

You led yourself to believe something. That is where fact becomes disregarded and it becomes a belief.

There may be other explanations for your experience that have a factual basis other than belief. Think about it.
I have thought about it. There was only one difference between when it started stalling and when the issue stopped, with gas that was at least 3 months old in the tank the car stalled when it cam to a full stop when that gas was gone and I refueled the problem stopped and I have tried unsuccessfully to replicate the stalling problem I was having on the current tank of gas.

I haven't done anything else to try to fix the problem and there has been no change in driving habits. I was always taught that to find the answer to a problem that you have to look at it logically, so logically if I've made no changes other than the gas in my cars tank the only problem could have been the gas. Now I will say that the tank of gas still was winter gas so could that have been part of the issue? I don't know.

I fully understand what truth and fact mean but I also know what fluke and exception to the rule mean. So I'm not saying that you were wrong or that what you were saying wasn't a fact or true I'm just saying that in my experience that what you said wasn't the case. I'm not arguing just relating my own personal experience so don't take this the wrong way as I mean no offense.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
I have thought about it. There was only one difference between when it started stalling and when the issue stopped, with gas that was at least 3 months old in the tank the car stalled when it cam to a full stop when that gas was gone and I refueled the problem stopped and I have tried unsuccessfully to replicate the stalling problem I was having on the current tank of gas.

I haven't done anything else to try to fix the problem and there has been no change in driving habits. I was always taught that to find the answer to a problem that you have to look at it logically, so logically if I've made no changes other than the gas in my cars tank the only problem could have been the gas. Now I will say that the tank of gas still was winter gas so could that have been part of the issue? I don't know.
You admit you don't know, in which case there could be another reason (or reasons) why the problem occurred. It could have been bad gas - but bad gas is not specifically due to gas being three months old. In other words, it may have been bad for some other reason regardless of it being three months old.

As I said, I've had gas that is much older than that, and I still do, and it has never caused any problem. So you can't be certain that the conclusion you drew is the correct explanation.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,578 Times in 7,064 Posts
Normally, I burn clear premium. Once I ran dry and walked to the nearest station to get a gallon of E85 and then drove straight to where I get the good stuff and topped up. The car ran like cr@p for that tank and the next one, then it was OK again.

I don't know what to make of that, except that reality gleefully confirms every mistaken notion that mankind ever has. It's called confirmation bias.

Yeah, I know...sediment. Fuel filter was fine. I think.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
You admit you don't know, in which case there could be another reason (or reasons) why the problem occurred. It could have been bad gas - but bad gas is not specifically due to gas being three months old. In other words, it may have been bad for some other reason regardless of it being three months old.

As I said, I've had gas that is much older than that, and I still do, and it has never caused any problem. So you can't be certain that the conclusion you drew is the correct explanation.
I didn't know if it being winter blend gas made the difference. But being that the problem only happened after the gas had been in there for 3 months and not before it makes sense the issue was that it was old. In the long run it doesn't really matter to me as long as it doesn't happen again. I don't really care if the issue was old gas or a couple of fluke occurrences as long as it's fixed.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
I didn't know if it being winter blend gas made the difference. But being that the problem only happened after the gas had been in there for 3 months and not before it makes sense the issue was that it was old. In the long run it doesn't really matter to me as long as it doesn't happen again. I don't really care if the issue was old gas or a couple of fluke occurrences as long as it's fixed.
I believe you. It certainly seemed that way to you.

But believe me - gas that is three months old, or six months old, or even older than that isn't what caused the problem.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I have had customers who fill at a local supermarket station and have had problems every time. They go somewhere else and the problem subsides after another tank or two. Anecdotal at best, who knows how much exaggeration is thrown into the mix? Certainly plausible but far from scientific.

I also remember when my Dad volunteered for the police department driving cars to the radio shop or mechanic. They had stopped using Murphy USA (Wally World/Sam's Club gas) due to what their garage called excess sulphur content, which according to them had caused some injector and fuel float problems.

I guess I take this all with a grain of salt, but there almost HAS to be some kind of truth to different branded fuels having different traits. I have never had "bad gas", nor do I remember my parents getting any in all the years they have carted me around. For now, I stick to Chevron/Texaco - good reputation for quality, and priced right alongside everyone else here. Plus even if Techron doesn't actually do anything, it can't hurt.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 07-18-2014 at 01:18 AM..
Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I don't know what to make of that, except that reality gleefully confirms every mistaken notion that mankind ever has. It's called confirmation bias.

Perception is 'reality' to those who have that perception.

Reply  Post New Thread