Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
I need to do some research for the best weight oil this thing can use for it's high mileage/MPG and what fluid to put in the trans.
I've already done the trans oil research for you:

Use GM's Synchromesh semi-synth gear oil. DON'T use the 75w90 oil called for in the owner's manual - I believe that's a printing mistake, and here's why:

Effect of gear oil viscosity on transmission efficiency (Metroid owners take note) - Gas Savers - Fuel Efficiency Forum

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (02-13-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Well, I got the car in the garage this afternoon and started going over it. I want to be sure it is safe and everything is working the way it should.

First off, the car grinds going into first. I don't have a service manual yet, but one is on the way. I am thinking I can adjust the clutch play or the clutch, synchro, or something else is shot.

Second, the car bucks when I take my foot of the gas. I was doing between 55 and 65 on the way home and anytime I took my foot off the gas pedal it would start to buck. I am not sure if that is a fuel thing, timing, clutch, flux capacitor, but I am going to look into it.

Third, there was a puddle of oil in the air filter pan.

Fourth, the fun begins! I was underneath the car checking the suspension and steering components and found that there was a hole in the front of the exhaust pipe right underneath the manifold. Exhaust leaks aren't good and I needed to get the pipe fix or just replace it.

I went to unbolt it and of course I broke the first bolt. Yes, I used PB Blaster and let it soak. No, it really didn't matter what I did. We will get to this in a minute.

I after unbolting the exhaust pipe and inspected it, it turns out that the pipe is double walled as there is no hole inside the pipe, only on the outside. So, I went ahead and broke off both bolts for no reason. Yeah!!

I went ahead and took the manifold off since it would be easier to work on.

After lining up the manifold with my drill press, I got about halfway into the bolt and decided that drilling out the bolt (with a mostly crooked hole), was not the answer. I busted out the Dremel and went to town. I am going to use a stainless bolt of slightly less diameter with the old springs, plus some washers here and there, to put the exhaust back on.

The other bolt is still in there. I am going to go back at it in the morning. I don't think any amount of PB, heat or cursing would have gotten either one of those bolts out without breaking them. Those bolts were rusted solid in there and you can see the rust on every part of the threads on the bolt I got out. I would have welded a nut to the end of them, but I don't have a welder and to get them welded would have cost too much. After all, this is a budget beater....

I am also concerned that everything underneath the hood is covered with oil sludge. It is apparent that it is leaking oil as there were drips under the car after only a few minute of it being parked. I am thinking oil pan or main seal, but need the service manual to see exactly what is involved with changing one. I might just leave it alone, but really don't like the thought of oil dripping everywhere.

I have a torn CV boot. If this wasn't a beater, I'd replace the whole axle since dirt has probably gotten in there. But, maybe I can just replace the boot.

Lastly, I am pretty sure the steering rack is well worn. Does it need to be replaced? The car steers fine except that I can feel a click whenever I made slight corrections on the highway and while feeling the click, the car would steer way more than I wanted to.

Bottom line is, this car was $1,000. I am not complaining one bit that it needs some work. It was a fun night!!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Metros are known for having downshifting problems into 1st and 2nd - you basically cannot.

To get into 2nd on mine, I briefly try and shift into 1st just to spin up the clutch disc, then enter 2nd.

Penzoil Synchromesh from Autozone is recommended for our transmissions.

In regards to PB blaster, you need to let it soak for like a week. I've always been amazed how well it worked. If you only tried for a day, that's the reason you broke the bolts.

Steering rack - the teeth wear in the straight head position. The right part of the rack is supported, but the left side just hangs and there is a spring loaded plunger that pushes rack against the pinion. With a shimmy (which these cars seem to always have balance issues and bent rims) the two wear. Very common.

That said, check your inner and out tie rods for play, also your ball joints.

That puddle in your air cleaner - might be from excessive blowby - might be your PCV valve is plugged.

Head over to Geo Metro Forum - got mpg? where all us metro/swift guys hang out.
- averaging 51.7 MPG, 56.9MPG best tank.
- self built MPGuino
- http://www.dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html
The Following User Says Thank You to JellyBeanDriver For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (02-13-2013)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanDriver View Post
Metros are known for having downshifting problems into 1st and 2nd - you basically cannot.

To get into 2nd on mine, I briefly try and shift into 1st just to spin up the clutch disc, then enter 2nd.

Penzoil Synchromesh from Autozone is recommended for our transmissions.

In regards to PB blaster, you need to let it soak for like a week. I've always been amazed how well it worked. If you only tried for a day, that's the reason you broke the bolts.

Steering rack - the teeth wear in the straight head position. The right part of the rack is supported, but the left side just hangs and there is a spring loaded plunger that pushes rack against the pinion. With a shimmy (which these cars seem to always have balance issues and bent rims) the two wear. Very common.

That said, check your inner and out tie rods for play, also your ball joints.

That puddle in your air cleaner - might be from excessive blowby - might be your PCV valve is plugged.

Head over to Geo Metro Forum - got mpg? where all us metro/swift guys hang out.
Okay, about to head out there and fix the exhaust with some stainless bolts. I also got some oil/filter, Synchromesh, a PCV valve and spark plugs for a little tune up.

I made an account over on the other forum and posted up in the projects section.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
hey metro men check out craigs list in san luis obispo cal. one convert at 750.00 and a nice one for 1800.00
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
hey metro men check out craigs list in san luis obispo cal. one convert at 750.00 and a nice one for 1800.00
Thanks, but I bought this one.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
sarguy - any updates - how's the car?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
sarguy - any updates - how's the car?
Good. I have been hanging out on Geometroforum with the day to day updates.

I replaced the axles, tie rod ends, control arms, struts, fixed the headlights (they work now!) and did a compression test (140, 135, 100..., 130).

The first tank of gas was 35 mpg. That is regular driving. Once I get used to the car and it's issues, I will start making some changes to my driving. I am very happy with 35 mpg though I know this car can do so much better. I am still figuring out a few things with it, like why it bucks. I filled two of three motor mounts and it still bucks, so now I am thinking it might be TPS related. Looks like a project for next weekend.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

I have about $2,200 in the car now, including a new stereo...had to make it sound good while sitting in traffic.

I got the idle issue it was having fixed and now and driving it. I haven't had to pop the hood in a week! (knocking on wood...) My mileage is right at the EPA ratings, but the last tanks included a lot of time idling the motor to fix the idle issues.

I am looking into some sort of cheap instrumentation. I cannot find an MPGuino to put in there as the websites recommended on this forum no longer take orders. Any idea where I can get an assembled one??
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
I have about $2,200 in the car now, including a new stereo...had to make it sound good while sitting in traffic.

I got the idle issue it was having fixed and now and driving it. I haven't had to pop the hood in a week! (knocking on wood...) My mileage is right at the EPA ratings, but the last tanks included a lot of time idling the motor to fix the idle issues.

I am looking into some sort of cheap instrumentation. I cannot find an MPGuino to put in there as the websites recommended on this forum no longer take orders. Any idea where I can get an assembled one??
$40 assembled found here...

http://www.dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html

That is the one I bought. All you have to do is figure out how to mount it.

Project Avalon: E bike build
The Following User Says Thank You to razor02097 For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (02-13-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread