Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I was in the right lane today with a good gap in front of me when a fellow to my left changed lanes inside the gap. I did not slow down immediately thinking he was going to continue his lane changes, and I got a little close to his bumper while slowly backing off the throttle. He took it upon himself to slow even more and forced me to use my brakes. Then he moved one more lane to the right to exit as I expected.

I stuck tongue out at him as I passed; he looked pretty annoyed with me...some people's kids.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #42 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
The problem I have always had when traffic is merging and I am boxed is that no matter how slow I am driving the people coming up the on ramp insist on slowing until they are directly to the side of my vehicle, even when they start AHEAD of me.

When they do this I figure screw you, if you want to drive slow get behind me, if not go ahead. Its not like a 3.5hp lawmower couldn't pass me, but somehow they can't. Or if they, do they wait to the last moment and floor it or they go behind me and sit there 15 minutes while no traffic is to be found then floor it as soon as they notice someone coming up that they can cut off.

Around here there really isn't any traffic to speak of, the sad part is when there is a lot of traffic I don't seem to have any issues like this. (AKA people seem to become competent enough to simply go around)

My troubles are always when there is no traffic, people seem to believe they are driving a train on rails and have no steering ability.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #43 (permalink)
The PRC.

Its a little bit like the pavement dance - you spot someone coming towards you on the pavement so you step to the left just as they step to their right leaving you still in each other's way. You smile, and step the other way just as they do so you still face each other.

In the case of merging you ease off a little to let someone in and they slow too, being polite. So you speed up. Just as they do to so you end up running alongside each other.

But you do get morons sometimes - one this morning was a classic. Traffic going 55-70 in two lanes so the giffer (very aged person) joining bumbles down the ramp at 40 - if that. The motorway was empty so people moved over but this guy made no attempt to merge. But when he was fully on the road he sped up to 80, so its not as if he didn't have the performance.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

slightly slow for on rampers.. most will try to beat you.. if they panic and you know The Man's not there, usher push them out by putting your veh. obvious enough behind them.. their comfort level returns
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

if you are 1st on ramp w impatient's behind, use about all the ramp, only use blinkers about twice, it makes you look faster.. make car wide to block on the right, and keep them from passing you in the slow lane blocking your merge!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

don't get riled if passed on right, even if Very late! These people will remember you forever, especially if on same time schedule
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you are merging an 18 whlr. coming judge his speed.. you may be able to stretch out the ramp as he blows by, barely going beyond the ramp markings, but not into settled debris... practice Smoothness in everything!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

avoid eye contact if poss. w a nervous on ramper side by side... a You go 1st wave usually does wonders.. about only time I speed up is for outdated short onramps that are blind where you must stay ahead or get jammed... these should be very rare!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

in rural areas(2lanes) have you worked on getting rid of faster rigs? You can be in control... Look ahead for their passing safety... move (body language) your veh. toward fogline...dowwn window wave by if necc. easy w small car/motorcycle. arn fake left/right turns.. check your state for shoulder laws... don't get yourself jammed w shoulder debris... older people may not understand you are trying to help them by until the 3rd body language sometimes... be ready... most people really appreciate that you want to help them!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Be smooth and act w confidence! On freeways where lane will be ending... learn correct time to merge early enough not to jammed, but late enough not to let more than one or two get by on the right... make your veh. wide where important for your safety w/o looking like an obvious block.

Reply  Post New Thread