Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GM Reportedly Kills the Electric Car...Again

FOXNews.com - GM Reportedly Kills the Electric Car...Again

Once again, General Motors has killed the electric car. More correctly it has killed an electric car.

Bloomberg is reporting that GM has ended development of the Cadillac Converj, an extended-range electric vehicle that was to be based on the same technology found in the upcoming Chevrolet Volt. Unnamed executives told the publication that a business plan couldn’t be made for the vehicle, despite the premium prices that could be charged for it under the auspices of the luxury nameplate.

During an appearance in January prior to the Detroit Auto Show, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told the Conference of the Society of Automotive Analysts that the vehicle was “heading for production.” GM never issued an official announcement either confirming or denying Lutz’ claim, but then-Cadillac General Manager Brian Nesbitt told Foxnews.com “there is a lot of work going on on the Converj. We’re very excited about it. I’d say there are still some approvals that have to take place, but we are working on it.”

Instead, Bloomberg says Cadillac will focus on more conventional plug-in hybrids with smaller , like the XTS concept unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show. Rather than having the ability to go 40-plus miles on a charge, this type of vehicle can travel only short distances in electric-only mode, then operates like a typical hybrid where the internal combustion engine (ICE) and electric motor share the burden of driving the wheels, unlike the Volt which uses an ICE with no connection to the drive wheels only to generate electricity for the electric motor when the battery runs low.

Volt development continues on schedule, with the first vehicles still expected to go on sale at the end of 2010.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrowning View Post
Once again, General Motors has killed the electric car. More correctly it has killed an electric car.
Looks like they got the hang of it. Habits are hard to get rid of, like oil addiction, for example.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
GM addicted to oil???? WHAT!? Who would have thought....

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I'd love a plug-in hybrid, even if the electric range is too small to really go anywhere. Even if it only improved my commute fuel economy from 25mpg to 28mpg, I'd plug in every night.

However, does the typical Cadillac buyer feel the same way? I'd say no, seeing as he's unwilling to adjust his seat or open his window with human power.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My hope is that for once they doing something smart. They are not that experienced in electrical vehicle design issues. Hopefully they will continue with the Volt, get some of the bugs worked out then bring a second similar but more refined product to market. And Chevrolet buyers are a little more understanding than Cadillac buyers when things don't go perfectly.

Hopefully this is just a delay, not an obituary.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
rbrowning -

I don't really mind. Let the Volt sink or swim first. There's no such thing as a Lexus Prius. The Caddy was just going to be a reskin anyway. If it's a home run, or at least a triple, then see if you can migrate the platform to other brands. For Europe there's a Volt-based Opel/Vauxhall Electra in the works.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread