Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Camera System, no mirrors

OK at first glance I know its expensive, but consider this is retail and made for RV's .. Either way I thought it was a good product and are heading in the right direction. I especially like the fact that their are turn signals in the side cameras ... $950 btw

I figured if these are mounted low on the front fenders before the doors, they would be awesome for those of you that have to parallel park or even for backing up and not curbing your car ...

This RV Backup Camera with the Tri-View System helps Eliminate blind spots. The back up camera has 3 camera views—left, right, and rear. Side cameras come on with turn signals, rear camera activates in reverse gear, and all cameras can be viewed manually anytime. Rear camera has a motorized tilt feature to see from hitch to horizon, a waterproof microphone, and uses Night-VueŽ technology to see nearby objects in the dark. Widescreen 7 inch monitor has a built-in speaker, brightness controls, sun visor. All cables and hardware included. Monitor: 7-3/4” W x 5-1/4” H x 1-3/16” D; Camera: 4 – 1/4” W x 3” H x 3-1/4” D.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-view-backup-camera.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	2426  

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Needs more LCD... Seriously, it looks from the picture as if there is an actual picture tube there.

But minor nit-picking aside, this has actually been my goal for several of my 'day-dream' projects... My '69 Elky, my electric RV... It just makes sense, rather than to have compromised visibility or humongous mirrors... Although my thoughts have gone in the 3 camera/3 HUD display direction. Definitely not within the budget realm, as in the system you point out.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have been looking into a camera system The main cost is a screen splitter they are hugely expensive so 3 smaller LCD/TFT are a better option i think. The one main question over that is how small is too small. Do you need to equal the size of a mirror to get the same safety and ease of use.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

An earlier thread had a link to a ~$25 camera and a $53 LCD screen, so you can get the two side mirrors replaced for under $200. The rear view mirror is not an issue!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
You probably know this if you've read other threads, but you won't comply federal law.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 12-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
I know the "is it legal question" has been answered, however, it doesn't mean that its unsafe. I am willing to take that chance and will eventually.

If I ever get pulled over, I expect to keep my calm, explain to the officer that my vehicle is getting 60mpg, the mirror deletes contributed to +4mpg increase and the resulting cameras still offer me the 200ft visibility plus eliminates the blind spots.

I figure most officers would be lenient if you show some benefit to the disregard to the law which is quickly become antiquated.

I mean dont get me started on some of the motorist restrictions we have to deal with in Pennsylvania; Rediculous but funny ..

In certain sections of Pennsylvania many years ago, the Farmer's Anti-Automobile society set up some "rules of the road." In effect, they said:

"If a driver sees a team of horses, he is to pull to one side of the road and cover his machine with a blanket or dust cover that has been painted to blend into the scenery."

"In the event that a horse refuses to pass a car on the road, the owner must take his car apart and conceal the parts in the bushes."

In Pennsylvania, "any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue."

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Reply  Post New Thread