Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2022, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How do I use Apple?

My brother has had an iPad for 11 years and has used a $300 app called Lamp Words for Life for virtually the entire time. He can really only say CV words (one consonant and one vowel). If it is longer than that he deletes it.

About the best he can say since he was 2.5 was "Ah wa haw-haw" (I want hot dog).

With his iPad he can say "I want Domino's pizza salami olives mushrooms."

Yes, we need to work on the grammar, but verbally he could only indicate he wants pizza.

He can't necessarily do better with sign.

He can also say "I love you Xist take a shower please."

I taught him that one!

Something happened a week or two ago and my brother was very upset.

It turned out that his communication app disappeared.

I can only guess that he received some message, tried to make it go away, and the app went away, but I don't have any idea why, or what the message would be.

"For best user experience this app is being uninstalled?"

As far as we know, the iPad works perfectly, we are merely experiencing planned obsolescence.

It looks like I can walk into Walmart today and walk out with an iPad for $300.

That's 20% more than I paid for my Accord!

It is definitely less than I was expecting, but it's a year old!

I can walk into Verizon and buy a new Air for $750.

That's almost what I paid for my 2022 Civic!

It doesn't run, but still!

Hopefully that would be good for 8-10 years, but all that we will do is install the same app he has used for 11 years.

We don't need to pay for it. We can ask the support coordinator to request that my brother's insurance ask his doctor to write a script and then they will request that his SLP fills out an 8-page packet.

Presto chanjo! In 6-12 months either he has a free (to us) iPad or we are starting over!

I started seeing a client 6 months ago and the dad said they were trying to get an iPad. On Friday the dad said they needed my number so the doctor could send me information. I gave him my business card, he dropped it off, and when I got home someone from the office called and asked for my fax number.
I asked "Fax? Can I just pick it up?"
After a bit of phone tag I picked it up right when it was closing.
I need to fill out the 8 pages tonight and I will submit it the first thing in the morning.

My clients are important to me.

Anyway. It is a big process, all because Apple isn't satisfied with their cashflow experience.

ME_Andy (08-29-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-28-2022, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Doug

When I told his iPad to reinstall Lamp it said the device was too old, but I read that I could install it through the Purchased tab of the app store.

I have added 31 local stores and fast food places, but I still need to add dozens of common objects that are strangely missing.

The thing is, we have 3 iPads with the app. He uses it personally, I use it professionally, and Mom has it as a backup.

I swear that I had added a bunch to both of ours, but I don't see them.

I have been adding buttons to mine, planning on saving the file and loading it onto the other iPads, but that's the problem.

I was able to install an old version of the app, but I need to add everything to at least two different iPads.

Maybe I can transfer them from mine to Mom's, but again, that is a backup.

I had planned on waiting until I added everything, which is taking me forever, but Mom demanded that I added what I had Friday morning.

We only had a couple of minutes before his ride arrived and I was still trying to figure it out half an hour after he left.

My iPad says "Import from iTunes, Export to iTunes, DropBox, and Export and Share."

Under Export and Share it gives me AirDrop, Message, Mail, [...], and Save to Files.

Under [...] it shows Facebook Messenger.

My iPad looks and acts just like my brother's, except he has the old weird proprietary connector and she has the new weird proprietary connector.

He has version 9.3.5 of IOS, which claims to be up-to-date.

Mom had version 12.5.5 of iOS, which also claims to be up-to-date.

The app on my brother's iPad gives the same options, but when I go through the menu AirDrop and Save to Files don't show up.

It's too old for AirDrop, but why can't I save to files?!

I e-mailed it, but the app kept saying I had the wrong password. I put it in a couple of times and then found a page with someone saying "Apple informed me that I am not having the best experience. I'm buying a new iPad."

E-mail experience?!

I was able to log into Mom's e-mail through the web. I still couldn't Save to Files. I needed to upload it to the cloud, but that gave me the option of importing it to Lamp, except nothing happens.

I tried it a couple of times and realized that a messaged popped up and disappeared before I could read anything. I recorded a video and it said the file was incompatible.

It took a while to figure out, but it turns out that I had 2.36.1 and my brother had 2.38, so I upgraded, but it still gave me the error.

I happened to notice that the file list says "LAMP WFL - Version 2.38.0 (12)" on mine and "LAMP - Version 2.25.2 (0)" on my brother's.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
I am at 15.6.1 IOS, the older devises stop getting updates when Apple decides. The last update for the iPhone 7 is here, time to upgrade phones at work. I have a personal iPhone 6, it quit updating years ago. I have an iPhone 12 from work, but I am on it all the time for work. I also have an iPad 11 for work, but still use a Windows laptop at work. I think my corporate owns a bunch of Apple stock.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

I figured out how to use iTunes to transfer the file, but as I feared, it didn't work because it was allegedly the wrong version.

I have been trying to figure out how to roll back my app.

This says that I need to install iTunes 12.6.5 because for best user experience, Apple removed featured that we needed after that version.

This was the first place I could find 12.6.5. I felt wary, but it is signed by Apple, and I checked it for viruses and malware.

It says "The file `iTunes Library.itl' cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes."

Then:

"This iPad cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again."

Well, I have done this twice now...

Fun. iTunes doesn't show up under Programs and Features, but it is totally still on my computer.

I just deleted the folder, found the offending file, and deleted that folder.

I tried to install 12.6.5 a third time and it asked if I wanted to repair or remove, so I told it to remove.

I really wish that Windows would actually pop up those "Are you sure" windows? I keep wondering why the progress bar isn't progressing and then I notice the icon on the bottom of my 43" screen.

It finally installed!

I installed whatever Charles is.

Installing programs I don't know is totally safe!

I got stuck on
Quote:
The Build Number Version (or Build Number) of the version you want to downgrade. You can get the Build Number Version of most apps on AppStore from Tool Lantency.
Lantency or Latency? The link takes me to Lancely.tech, which isn't in English, and somehow Google Translate just sends me to the untranslated page.

Google just wants to give me results for "Tool Latency" even when I put it in quotes and that has 40,000 results, none of which seem relevant.

I need to take care of my brother, but I guess that I will figure out the build number after I fill out that 8-page packet for my client.

Sure my brother's iPad has worked great for 11 years, but $300 still seems excessive when Apple doesn't give a flying brick about customer satisfaction.

However, I have put endless hours on this.

I wish that I had the option of spending $300 and hopefully not worrying about it for 8-10 years or spending days fighting Apple and not working on other projects.

There is always the refurbished market. When I click on iPads on Back Market it shows a 2017 for $101.

I would rather save $199, but I very well might be dealing with this in 3-5 years, so do I want to spend $300 for 8-10 years or $101 for 3-5?

It looks like it would total $111.36 and be here on Thursday.

He has been grabbing mine, although he needs one of us to unlock it.

I think that I would rather solve all of this tomorrow.

I think that I will fill out that packet, buy that iPad, fix this one, and then ask my brother's attorney about loaning the old iPad while we try to get that family one.

By the way, the only other instance of "Tool Lantency" that I found was here, a forum post, with direct links to 12.6.5.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

It is entirely possible there is someone still using the very first generation of iPad and enjoying it just fine. It amazes me that they can make something that works satisfactorily for 15 years, but what does Apple want us to do with physically perfect devices, dump them so they can profit?
Old 08-29-2022, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
How do I use Apple?
A common doasge is one a day.

Apparently you intended 'How do I use [a specific] Apple [product]?'

Your question is about IOS. Without going further I find:
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › IOS
iOS - Wikipedia
iOS (formerly iPhone OS) is a mobile operating system created and developed by Apple Inc. exclusively for its hardware. It is the operating system that powers many of the company's mobile devices, including the iPhone; the term also included the versions running on iPads until iPadOS was introduced in 2019, as well as on the iPod Touch devices, ...
then:
Quote:
IPadOS
apple.com/ipados
iPadOS is a mobile operating system developed by Apple Inc. for its iPad line of tablet computers. It is a rebranded variant of iOS, the operating system used by Apple's iPhones, renamed to reflect the diverging features of the two product lines, particularly the iPad's multitasking capabilities.Wikipedia
Also it's LAMP Words for Life. (Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP™))

Overall the situation is sad. Apple's Human Interface Guidelines was my 'Bible' from 1984. It was sad to see it diluted with features to cater to people that had been exposed to Windows (Are You Sure? you wanted to do what you just did?)

IOS was a walled garden from the start. App stores are evil.

From www.aacandautism.com/lamp/resources-and-support
Quote:
It's available as an iPad app and on insurance/Medicaid-fundable PRC dedicated devices.
From https://www.prentrom.com/products
Quote:
PRC Device Warranties
Every PRC product is sold with the sincere intent to enable uninterrupted, spontaneous communication. Our products are designed for optimum reliability within the environments they serve. In the unlikely event service is required, we promise to repair your device with the minimum of paperwork and inconvenience.

All Accent devices are backed by PRC’s standard two-year warranty. To learn more about our warranty coverage, visit our eStore for additional information.
Further depondent sayeth not.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have used PRC dedicated devices. A client has a Samsung. It is like a normal tablet with 1.5 pounds of ballast. I thought that it was a speaker, which would be great, because the one time I had my brother take his iPad to the farmer's market the hot dog vendor couldn't hear it. One of the top reviews for the app is: "My son loves this app but the volume is kinda low. Today I put it on maximum volume but could barely hear him while driving. It’s fine if your at home with no noise otherwise it’s difficult to hear. Please fix."

The Samsung sounds even quieter.

So, ventilation holes?

Why is it so heavy?!

Is it batteries?

The site says "8 to 10 hours depending on individual usage and power settings."

From what I can tell, that is about what an iPad is rated, but I rarely need to charge mine, although I don't use it heavily at all.

I believe that Mom bought it at least 6 years ago and the battery is still great.

I can't say the same of my brother's, but it seems vastly better than my last phone after 2 years.

It seems like my client needs to charge his Samsung every night.

So, why is it so heavy?!

The app looks the same, but I can't tap Menu > Find Word and see where a button is. I need to tap the keyboard and then Find Word.

I haven't figured out how to add words, which is easy on the iPad.

PRC charges almost $7,000 for that garbage.

I can buy an iPad and the app for $1,000!

The site says "the Accent 800 is locked from running Windows applications, meeting the functional specifications of the Medicare/Medicaid funding requirements."

I have used Windows exclusively since DOS, which is the reason for my travails and this thread.

I only know how to do basic things on an Apple device.

I still don't know how to access the storage.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IOS is intentionally dumbed down, to appeal to the sort of person who would see the smart phone as a smart choice. Memory -- schmemory.
Quote:
Prefix
sch-
Used to form an intensified word, typically with words starting with voiceless sibilants and affricates like S, Sh, and Ch especially for comedic effect.
"Iss too schticky."
I haven't evaluated these:
Quote:
https://www.atandme.com › ?p=3498
Free Assistive Technolgy Webinars 3 - ATandMe
8 Feb 2021Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP) is a therapeutic approach based on neurological and motor learning principles. The goal is to give individuals who are nonverbal or have limited verbal abilities a method of independently and spontaneously expressing themselves in any setting.

https://www.prentrom.com › products › devices
Devices - AAC & Speech Devices from PRC - prentrom.com
The PRiO-mini come equipped with the LAMP Words for Life app. LAMP Words for Life is a full vocabulary augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) language app that combines the power of Unity® with the principles and strategies of Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP). The LAMP Words for Life language system is appropriate for a wide range of individuals, including those just beginning to communicate to those with advanced language skills.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

I call Mom's Apple devices "Child's playthings." It is crazy how a 3-year-old can immediately use it and do things that adults don't know how to do, but again, when I need to do anything unusual, I am missing Windows or Android.

On the far end, in Tinker Town, is Linux, which doesn't make anything easier, or hide anything.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tinker Town is where? I put up with it to get away from the moldering corpse of the 'bicycle for the mind'

My desktop has a white bar down the side but the menu bar doesn't The update Wizard has offered an update for a week or two, but it says the clock is set incorrectly even when it is correct.

DDG says there is a Config Setting, if I want to do brain surgery.

It's no rose garden.

Reply  Post New Thread