Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, duh! Would you want to be in a crash in ANY car?

Do you wear full body armor whenever you leave the house, just in case you run into a mad gunman?
No I would not WANT to be in a crash in ANY car, but if I were to be in a crash I would want to be in a car where I will keep my legs.

Look at the car in my fuelly signature I totaled that car when a guy in a explorer took a left hand turn doing about 25mph as I reached the intersection doing 60mph. I did not have time to hit the breaks just pull slightly to the right to avoid spinning into oncoming traffic and flipping his SUV. The whole front of his car was twisted, I stepped out of the car with only a few scrapes and a bruise. from the air bag.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
The PRC.

I live in a city where the tough men wear skirts.

Its not pretty.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
No I would not WANT to be in a crash in ANY car, but if I were to be in a crash I would want to be in a car where I will keep my legs.
Yeah, and IF the mad gunman starts shooting while I'm out for a walk, I'm sure going to wish I had put on the body armor that morning :-)

But what are the odds that I'm going to meet the mad gunman? That's the point: I can do all sorts of things to protect myself from unlikely dangers. I can carry a parachute every time I get on a plane, wear a personal lightning rod & meteor shield, and so on, and obsess about these things to the point I'm spending all my income on them, and not enjoying life. But I think that'd be a pretty sad way to live.

Same with cars: I could drive around in the biggest, "safest" (supposedly) SUV I could find - and spend a big chunk of my income on gas and car payments, live with the fact that my choice is contributing to global warming and funding jihad (which together are a greater long-term danger than any increase in risk from driving a "less-safe" car), never experience the pleasure of driving a responsive car... Again, a pretty sad way to live.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...and, "insurance" is only really NEEDED when an accident occurs -- not before nor after -- but, you pay for it all the same, until the day-moment-instant that it's truly needed.

Last edited by gone-ot; 07-21-2010 at 04:39 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

But how much insurance do you carry? A reasonable amount, or $20 million on your old clunker, just in case?

Reply  Post New Thread