Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Google Earth vs. Odometer

I plotted a round trip path to Savannah and back (my usual route 2 or 3 times a week) so that I could compare my odometer to it. The trip using Google Earth's ruler was approximately 91.4 miles. My odo read 94 miles after the trip. Is that close enough considering GE can't compensate the distance for hills? According to those numbers, my odo reads a little under 3% high. What does everyone think? Thanks ahead of time.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I would try a trip on the interstate with some mileage markers is hills are an issue,
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
hills and different lanes could cause 3% easy IMHO.

Think about a track (for running) how the person on the inside starts far back because they are always on the inside, so one lap for them is shorter than one lap for the runner on the outside.

If google maps records it as if you were driving down the yellow line, and you make lots of left curves, then google's distance will be shorter than yours.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean T. View Post
hills and different lanes could cause 3% easy IMHO.

Think about a track (for running) how the person on the inside starts far back because they are always on the inside, so one lap for them is shorter than one lap for the runner on the outside.

If google maps records it as if you were driving down the yellow line, and you make lots of left curves, then google's distance will be shorter than yours.
I used the ruler..where you lay your own path. I tried to compensate by staying on the right side of the road. I even followed the normal path of a turn where appropriate. So, the inaccuracy is probably mostly from hills and curves where I didn't mark them exactly right.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I would try a trip on the interstate with some mileage markers is hills are an issue,
Thanks I'll try that on my next trip to Savannah (I'm trying to remember if the roads I take have mile markers...I don't recall seeing them. I will definitely try it out on my Atlanta trip in October.

Reply  Post New Thread