Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...once arthritis has caused the bone ends to disintigrate, there is *NO* cure, other than joint replacement. My Mother (88) has had both hips and both knees replaced due to arthritis degeneration...and it runs in the family.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What's OP?did a search on google and all I came with up was Observation Post hehe.

Well, as for stress, there's work and then there's home/personal stuff.

Will walking/frequent exercise help prevent gout since it was mentioned that it was a disease of inactivity?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
OP means "Original Poster" ie, you.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

oh sorry..thanks for the correction :-)
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalta-STA View Post
oh sorry..thanks for the correction :-)
It's all good , I'm still learning all the acronyms myself.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Talk is cheap. Prove your claim with some references. There is no way all the arthritis clinics wouldn't be curing people if antibiotics were the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old redneck View Post
There was a test run years ago by the Deteroit Free Press to see if arthritis was curable they started a test group on low level antibiotics and another on placebos and the AMA made them quit after 13 weeks cause they were getting too well too fast. The Dr's want to treat you not cure you.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 07-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you have arthritis do your own research. Talk is cheap and information is where you find it. The reason you don't hear about some treatments is that the AMa I know you've heard of them doesn't approve of them. I personally have a friend that was to have heart surgery for blocked arteries until he had chelation. Have you heard of that either. The AMA doesn't approve of it because if you don't change your lifestyle you will be clogged within a year. The SAME thing that they tell you about bypass surgery. But the chelation only costs about 15-20,000. Guess what bypass surgery costs. My bill for a valve replacement was about 87,000 and cheap at that. I am not a dr or medivcal person, just pointing someone toward a possible help. Guess this is an anti forum as well as a friendly chat one. I'll remember not to touch on a medical subject next to you, it might give you a stroke, or something.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I call B.S. My wife has severe arthritis with a genetic cause, as does half her family. Last I heard, antibiotics don't work against genes.

If there was a miracle cure, I'd know about it, since I worked for the FDA my entire career. The FDA has no financial irons in the fire, but neither does the AMA. The pharmaceutical industry might, but there's no need to resort to conspiracy theories when old redneck doesn't have a credible reference to back his wild-eyed claim.

I ask for a reference, and I get an ad hominem attack in return. There's a guy who doesn't win many debates.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The only medicines that work for me is a combination of 300mg allopurinol to lower the production of uric acid and colchicine in a small 5mg tablet (i think) that acts as a diuretic to flush the urates out...I use them daily to prevent attacks..if i miss out..then an attack begins..

Oh and mine is also congenital...Both my parents have it also but not as bad as mine though..they can get away with eating peanuts and liver..I can't.

The painkillers I use are kind of strong..the first one is etoricoxib aka Arcoxia, it's non-steroidal(not available in the US, you need to know someone across the border to bring it to you) and dexamethasone aka Decilone Forte, a steroid...only for extreme cases in which I need to be able to walk to get to the doctor
Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

The thing you'll find out is that once you lose the excess weight, a lot of the problems that you have will either go away or become a lot more manageable.

Not to mention the psychological boost you'll get when you start getting compliments about how good you look.

I don't know how tall you are, but set a goal to do at least 25 pounds. Then once you get there, keep going till you get back to your "happy place" weight wise.

I'm a pretty big guy ( 6'2 / 231 ) and I carry my weight well, but I am going to get back to 190 or so. Trucking has a tendency to make you fat.

Reply  Post New Thread