Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I like this thread. I'd thought about putting a copper line on the frame of the car and running the coolant through that in the summer to give me the go-ahead for a full grill block. By using the frame of the car to cool the engine I should be able to cool it rather well. But I think I'd need a thermostat in there somewhere, or I'll never warm it up in the winter.

PS what's a wood gasifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
google is your friend

Electricity from wood waste
Old 06-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grill block cooling device

if you want to get all technical, sure the thermostat keeps your coolant all locked away inside the engine block until it warms up sufficiently, but you must remember that once that temperature is reached all of that cold coolant from the rest of the cooling system has to be cycled through and warmed up. If you keep the rest of the coolant from getting unnecessarily cooled down, you'll get your engine (and all of it's coolant) warmed up quicker.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I've thought about this as well. You want a smooth radiator on the surface of your car. It should be fed with coolant on the radiator side of the thermostat, so it doesn't interfere with warm-up. You could add a few fins or large ridges to increase the surface area. If the fins are spaced far enough apart, and point paralell to airflow, the aerodynamic impact could be smaller than that of a grille opening.

I've thought about a coolant-to-frame and/or coolant-to-hood heat exchanger for my Insight. The hood is too thin to conduct heat across its surface, and the frame has too little area exposed to airflow. Overall, it would be cool, and I might do it, but it really wouldn't let me reduce the grille opening that much.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
what about the roof?

complex and annoying, but probably large enough.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
OK What about the roof. What is the predicted benefit?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I just don't "get" grill blocks in the first place... the assorted crap inside your engine compartment that resists airflow is already a "grill block"... if air has an easier time sliding over your hood than through your engine compartment, it will, because that's what air does when presented with a moving car.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Indeed, this would reduce the size of any air intakes needed for the radiator. One downside though, and this has been discussed in other threads, is that it may not be safe and/or legal to have anything on the outside of the car at coolant temperatures, just in case someone touches it. So, you'd need a grill to cover it, and then a grill block on that grill etc....
The exhaust and cooling system are openly exposed on my bike. Nobody touches them because common sense is surprisingly not dead yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
I just don't "get" grill blocks in the first place... the assorted crap inside your engine compartment that resists airflow is already a "grill block"... if air has an easier time sliding over your hood than through your engine compartment, it will, because that's what air does when presented with a moving car.
It still poses a drag. Think about an open parachute, and all the air that goes around it. And all the air that doesn't.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
You could add a few fins or large ridges to increase the surface area. If the fins are spaced far enough apart, and point paralell to airflow, the aerodynamic impact could be smaller than that of a grille opening.
The amount of heat exchange between fins and air depends on how much air flows over the fins and how fast. The amount of drag produced by fins depends on the same. In this case, fins would be counterproductive.

I think the hood would be the best large area surface for heat exchange. The warm air coming off the hood would help prevent fogging and icing on the windshield.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread