Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean in Milwaukee View Post
I have to say other than airing up the tires, this has to be one of the easiest mpg mods you can make. It took me all of 1/2 hour to do, and would have been easier if the grill opening wasn't vaguely trapazoidal. I used cardboard to play with the shape till it fit well and then transferred to the coroplast.

When I finally get the final size decided, I am going to make a new one from black coroplast and use black zip ties. The mod will be all but invisable then.

Dean
Exactly what I did, and I actually think it made the car look cooler.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 32.45 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
just wonder if mine would run hotter
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
just wonder if mine would run hotter
Easily reversed or changed. Try and see.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just got back from Chicago yesterday with much warmer weather, 85ish and hot enough that I needed to leave the air on a higher setting all the way home, and the temp gauge still sat right in the middle like it always has.

Clearly I can block more than " just " 2/3rds of the lower grill without overheating or even running any warmer at all.

Just how much extra cooling capacity did mazda provide for this car anyway?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Just got back from Chicago yesterday with much warmer weather, 85ish and hot enough that I needed to leave the air on a higher setting all the way home, and the temp gauge still sat right in the middle like it always has.

Clearly I can block more than " just " 2/3rds of the lower grill without overheating or even running any warmer at all.

Just how much extra cooling capacity did mazda provide for this car anyway?
Remember that the fan may be switching on if airflow itself is insufficient. And the fan draws power from the battery and the battery gets power from the alternator, which gets it from your engine. If the fan runs all the time, your aero gains turn into alternator losses. Monitor the radiator fan.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Remember that the fan may be switching on if airflow itself is insufficient. And the fan draws power from the battery and the battery gets power from the alternator, which gets it from your engine. If the fan runs all the time, your aero gains turn into alternator losses. Monitor the radiator fan.

I understand. Thing is though, in five years of ownership I've never heard the fan kick on, and now finding out how oversized the cooling system is, I'm starting to understand why.

When I finally do hear it kick on, it'll probally startle me!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
I understand. Thing is though, in five years of ownership I've never heard the fan kick on, and now finding out how oversized the cooling system is, I'm starting to understand why.

When I finally do hear it kick on, it'll probally startle me!

Manufacturers design cars to be used in ''almost'' every circomstances, so it has to start in winter in north alaska and has to have enought cooling to whistand pulling in a mountain in desert.

You could also be ''complaining'' that your battery and starter are too big for your car, because you'd never use them to their full capacity.

Reply  Post New Thread