Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Grille blocks, behind the grille?

I'm going to attempt a partial grille block on the CRX, as well as construct a ducting that forces what air does go through the grille to the radiator. The HF's is TINY, and I want to make sure it gets all it can.

But, I don't like the look of grille blocks outside the grille. In theory, for the changes we are looking at would there be any real negatives to having it mounted just behind the grille opening, flush the the grille's "teeth", to say?

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
..."best" is in front of grill, as part of "smoothly-integrated" contours; usual "compromise" is behind the grill, for both "easiness" and "invisibility" reasons.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In short, the differences are fairly negligible?

I can understand the ideal solution is to have air hit a smooth surface, but if I'm not mistaken the main goal is to keep excess air out of the engine bay and etc.

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...depends upon how many decimal places you assign to "negligible" (ha,ha)

...actually, there will be air splillage and burble with the "behind-the-grill" that you wouldn't get with a smoothly integrated "before-the-grill" installation...plus, lots more "under-the-car" air being forced downward.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
I have a behind the grill plexiglas lower grill block.

What I have noticed is that at even with a piece of metal bar behind it securing it to the grill it will flex at highway speeds letting air around edges.

I used my air compressor at a low psi to confirm this.

So not only do you have smooth surface vs "toothed" surface, when a block is on the outside and gets higher air pressure it just pushes the block even further into place where as if it is behind the grill it may flex and allow air into the engine bay.

I too am thinking of setting up a system to direct the air into the radiator but that is a little farther down the road.

2012 mpg
Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post

Quote:
...actually, there will be air splillage and burble with the "behind-the-grill" that you wouldn't get with a smoothly integrated "before-the-grill" installation...plus, lots more "under-the-car" air being forced downward.
"Lots"?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:

A few tenths wouldn't bother me. But I didn't take into account wind trying to bypass... I'll have to experiment.

Reply  Post New Thread