Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
H3 gives my Mazda5 the ultimate Ecomod

Yes the ultimate Ecomod - took the Mazda off the street permanently. I got hit at a 90 degree angle directly in front of the driver's side wheel at about 35mph (no one hurt ) which didn't do a whole lot of body damage visually, but it did bend the subframe and opened up the block and transaxle. Totaled the mighty microvan, so now it isn't using any gas (lifetime avg 22.x mpg). Quite an ecomod, eh?

In the meantime my family of 4 (two kids 6&8) has been walking, biking, and using the bus or the L to get around locally. I have a 4cyl auto Tacoma Prerunner ext cab which gets awful mpg (avg 15 in the city) that I bought for rehabbing our 100 year old two flat. We have been using the truck when the non-automotive modes don't apply. We've already gotten a respectable insurance settlement, but haven't bought another car yet. And to be honest... I don't know if we are going to buy another one, at least not for the moment. I work from home, and she takes the bus to work anyway.

As you may know, insurance companies can cover TTL on the replacement vehicle, as long as the purchase is within 30 days. In our case, that would be about $2k - not an insubstantial amount. So that 30 days is coming up, and we're still undecided. I don't want to leave that money on the table, but OTOH, not buying another car would save quite a bit of money.

Being a lifelong "car guy", I never thought I'd be in a position to decide against buying another car... but it's starting to make some kind of sense, right? Take the bus/train most of the time, use the truck when we can't use the CTA, and rent whatever we want for the road trips.

I've never been this indecisive on a car purchase (or non purchase!) before. Maybe just not buying a car would be a good idea, eh?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mifunego For This Useful Post:
Xusn96 (06-29-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have at least one friend in Chi who does not even have a driver's license any more. No need for it, because public transit is actually useable there (unlike much of the SF Bay Area where I live now). She will occasionally tag along with a friend when that friend goes to the store when she needs to pick up anything larger, but most of the time she just carries what she buys and walks or takes the bus.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds--public transit or bike or walking for most use, and the truck when you need to carry big stuff or head outside the city to somewhere that mass transit doesn't really reach. I would say good-bye to the car!

(OK, I would actually get a fun weekend-only car that I could also take to the track. But I may not be completely sane... )

-soD
Old 06-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, but also glad to hear everyone is okay.

Life changes, needs change. Maybe you don't need another vehicle.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I just hope the H3 experienced the same fate. Is that wrong?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

G-sux (Sold) - '06 Pontiac G6 GT
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Conda (Sold) - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 51.52 mpg (US)

Honda - '21 Honda Accord Touring
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Not wrong in my book. I hate seeing those ridiculous things on the road. How much big stupid SUV does a person need.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Ha! I understand what you're saying but, sorry to break the news to you - the well-armored H3 suffered no more than a little paint smudge (that will buff right out) and a slow leak in the passenger front tire. I didn't see it, but the folks in the H3 said their front end actually went airborne over us. My Mazda was immobilized with a cracked open trans (among other things) and the H3 had no problem driving home. I even offered to help the guy change his tire (I had the feeling I'd changed dozens more tires than he had ) but he politely refused and left after all the police details were done.

The 5 was a great little city family vehicle, but it sure wasn't easy on the gas. It's unfortunate that it was Mazda's red headed stepchild in North American markets; they never even updated the engine to the much more efficient Skyactiv 2.5. This is the last year you can buy one here new.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mifunego For This Useful Post:
Xist (06-27-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 03:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iexpedite View Post
Not wrong in my book. I hate seeing those ridiculous things on the road. How much big stupid SUV does a person need.
Mifunego indicated it was an H3 and not its bigger brothers. Its a small five cylinder with oversized wheels and tires. I believe it weighs in only slightly more than a compact pickup, with a cargo/people space about the same. It just looks like a behemoth.

With a set of front/rear air dams and some side skirts it will do 30+MPG.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Sorry to hear, I always liked the 5. I actually considered one at some point but its space utilization isn't what it could have been and as mentioned, Mazda could have tried harder on the FE side of things. A shame, it's a great idea that too few seemed to want.

I'd take the settlement and get SOMETHING for all those insurance premiums you paid. Go cheap and use the heck out of it, or don't, and sell it!

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

As someone else already brought up the idea of a replacement vehicle I'll add my 2 cents. Back it the day, Toyota made a very aero dynamic MiniVan call the "Previa" It was even offered with a force induction package (I.E. supercharger) for the 4 cylinder model for a few MY.
They were a bit of a pain to work on as the motor sat underneath the drivers seat, both they do have quite a following even today on the web. So long as you are handy you can add all the features of a 2015 vehicle back into a 1990s minivan. I.E. Bluetooth, navigation, Wifi, etc. With a couple of children it might be a nice direction to look into and still get great MPG.

Reply  Post New Thread