Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Man View Post
I don't think a petrol motorcycle/scooter with such good economy exists, maybe you are mistaken.

The Yamaha r15 v3 is a sports bike that can achieve 44-55km/L (depending on driving) thanks due to its variable valve actuation (and my aero top box) which destroys all other motorcycle designs in existence. Also the top speed is about 157km per hour and higher with my aerodynamic top box (untested).

However people in USA can't be allowed to have an r15 v3 because it's too awesome or something. I bought it as soon as it came into Australia in late 2019. It is very uncomfortable riding position but economic and more powerful than other small motorcycles in it's class.

The closest example of an underbone motorcycle that I know of that is good is NBC110 which offered 44km/L thanks to my 50cm narrow handle bar mod. This little bike would manage to reach 115km/hr in racing tuck (how accurate it is I don't know but it was exciting to do top speed runs). You can't have that in USA pretty sure.
If you follow the link above you will see this was a fuel economy run by a hypermiler not an official mileage rating. He rode 174 km in 4 hrs 27 minutes for an average speed of 39 kph.

We do have underbones in the USA. We get the Honda Cub 125 and Trail 125

We also have the Grom - which has been Honda's best selling motorcycle in the USA since it was introduced.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-22-2022, 01:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Even though the engine is very similar, the Grom is not exactly as much of an underbone.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Even though the engine is very similar, the Grom is not exactly as much of an underbone.
No - the Grom isn't an underbone. It is proof that small bikes can sell well in the USA.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
No - the Grom isn't an underbone. It is proof that small bikes can sell well in the USA.
A good marketing approach can do wonders. A few days ago I was just talking about it with a friend while we walked the dogs, and we saw a Yamaha XTZ 125 on the other side of a street. Having previously shown him an ad from 2014 of that very same model, and he's not really into motorcycling, that ad impressed him to an extent he forgot the Yamaha XTZ 125 was a quite popular model here until it was phased out locally.

Reply  Post New Thread