Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2024, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2015 WRX - '15 Subaru WRX
90 day: 30.63 mpg (US)

2008 Suzuki SV650SA - '08 Suzuki SV650SA
90 day: 60.81 mpg (US)
Heated Battery Blanket and Battery Insulation

I'm considering installing a battery blanket for my car, but not for the usual reasons.

In temperatures below -25°C with a battery that is only 1-3 years old, my car can throw engine codes for low fuel injector voltage immediately after the ignition is turned on. These codes allow the engine to crank, but prevent it from starting. A new battery always solves the issue.

I think it happens when the battery voltage dips much below 12.0 volts under load when the ignition is turned on, which only happens with a very cold, slightly old battery. I keep a small charger on the battery in the winter, but it doesn't really help.

A heated battery blanket should solve the issue, but I sometimes have to leave the car sitting out in the cold for hours without plugging it in, though rarely longer than 8 hours.

So, some questions:

1) Does anybody know how long a lead acid battery takes to cool down to near-ambient temperature, with or without an insulated battery blanket installed?

2) Has anybody experimented with wrapping additional insulation around a battery that has a heated blanket to help keep it warm between drives?

I've also been toying with the idea of installing a capacitor bank in the 10-100 F range, to help prevent the voltage from dipping too much even when the battery is cold. I see there are some units on Aliexpress with good specs for a reasonable cost, but not sure whether or not they'll explode or burn my car to the ground, or if there are other potential downsides.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2024, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Not sure how long your trips are, but a lot of insulation around the battery might keep it from warming up fast enough once the engine bay is hot.

If you have access to plugging in, then a 120/230V heating pad under the battery might be an option.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twj347 View Post
I'm considering installing a battery blanket for my car, but not for the usual reasons.

In temperatures below -25°C with a battery that is only 1-3 years old, my car can throw engine codes for low fuel injector voltage immediately after the ignition is turned on. These codes allow the engine to crank, but prevent it from starting. A new battery always solves the issue.

I think it happens when the battery voltage dips much below 12.0 volts under load when the ignition is turned on, which only happens with a very cold, slightly old battery. I keep a small charger on the battery in the winter, but it doesn't really help.

A heated battery blanket should solve the issue, but I sometimes have to leave the car sitting out in the cold for hours without plugging it in, though rarely longer than 8 hours.

So, some questions:

1) Does anybody know how long a lead acid battery takes to cool down to near-ambient temperature, with or without an insulated battery blanket installed?

2) Has anybody experimented with wrapping additional insulation around a battery that has a heated blanket to help keep it warm between drives?

I've also been toying with the idea of installing a capacitor bank in the 10-100 F range, to help prevent the voltage from dipping too much even when the battery is cold. I see there are some units on Aliexpress with good specs for a reasonable cost, but not sure whether or not they'll explode or burn my car to the ground, or if there are other potential downsides.
I charge a lot of group 34/78 optima batteries.
If they're really dead they can over heat when charging. I'll throw them outside when it's cold freezing temperatures can take a hot battery from over 100f to under room temperature in less than an hour. That's sitting the battery outside.
Under the hood out of the wind, next to a hot engine who knows.

I get around that by getting the biggest lead acid battery I can make fit. I made a free 2 year old group 31 battery fit in my Dodge Dakota, biggest they normally run is a group 27. Started right up no problem 2 mornings at 0f. That's really gd cold in degrees c.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
One thing you might try is a small capacitor bank in parallel with the battery. It will take some of the peak impulse when the car first starts (or when it cranks), preventing it from dipping too low.

Reply  Post New Thread