Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from Alberta Canada

Hello everyone,

Not new to eco modding but still learning more everyday.

Current vehicles are:

2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback 2.0L with CVT. Avg US MPG is 32.8 city and 45.8 hwy. Only mods so far are moon disc wheel covers.

2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Ecodiesel 3.0 with 8spd auto & 3.92 gears Avg US MPG is 21.6 city and 27.8 hwy. The only mods so far are added running boards to reduce drag, de-badged the fenders, 4 more shutters to the AGS, a winter grille block, and 4" DPF back exhaust.

Will be adding side skirts and lowered air dams to both vehicles

The Corolla will be getting LRR tries when new tires are due, along with rear-wheel skirts, grille block, and custom cat back exhaust

The Ram will be getting some rear wheel skirts, gap fillers between the cab and box, a custom build aero cap,and a custom-built 4" turbo back exhaust

Any more mods I should do?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Noob

City Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.12 mpg (US)

Shitty Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL Single Cab
90 day: 16.65 mpg (US)
Hey,

Depending on your road conditions, slightly over-inflating your tires is a common mod around here to gain fuel economy. As seen in the poll titled “What PSI do you run your tires” in the EcoModding Central sub forum, most members here run 35-45, but there are definitely some wild folks running 50-60 on their hypermiling builds (my account is too fresh to link it).

I do remember seeing a thread with some A-B-A testing of different tire pressure, but I’m having a hard time finding it. Other than tire pressure, as you probably know, the Scangauge II & Ultragauge are 2 tools that have a cult following around here for tracking fuel economy, throttle position, and all sorts of stuff. I’m assuming your cars already have live fuel economy readings though due to the age.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbadgley View Post
gap fillers between the cab and box
Now that most modern light-duty trucks resort to fully-boxed frames, it does surprise me the gap between the cab and box didn't get much smaller at all.

Quote:
a custom build aero cap
Have you ever lurked about going further when it comes to aero mods? Maybe a custom box, drawing inspiration from those streamlined/Art Deco service truck bodies from the '30s and '40s for instance.

Quote:
and a custom-built 4" turbo back exhaust
So you mean getting rid entirely of the DPF and SCR? Unless you really don't care about liability issues, I'd suggest you to take a look at what has been done by some truckers in Europe in order to straight-pipe modern trucks and not get in trouble because of a DPF and SCR delete, they're fitting exhaust diverters leading a smaller amount of the exhaust flow to the aftertreatment module. Not totally legal though...
Old 10-25-2022, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So you mean getting rid entirely of the DPF and SCR? Unless you really don't care about liability issues, I'd suggest you to take a look at what has been done by some truckers in Europe in order to straight-pipe modern trucks and not get in trouble because of a DPF and SCR delete, they're fitting exhaust diverters leading a smaller amount of the exhaust flow to the aftertreatment module. Not totally legal though...[/QUOTE]

Fit in the truck with an SCR and DPF from Cummins. The factory exhaust on the ecodiesel is 3" vs the Cummins 4". Just need to fab a turbo down pipe and new hangers.it will be straight piped after the DPF.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbadgley View Post
Fit in the truck with an SCR and DPF from Cummins. The factory exhaust on the ecodiesel is 3" vs the Cummins 4".
Might be interesting, considering the size differences between both engines. I often say a higher degree of standardization of aftertreatment devices between distinct engine and vehicle platforms may be the key to ensure long-term continuity of Diesels on the market.

Reply  Post New Thread