Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Greetings, and Please Don't Shoot the Pony =)

Hey!

I am pretty stoked that I came across this site.. I've been tracking my economy on a different site for a while now, but there is no real community there to speak of. I just wanted to say Hi! and start delving into the forums a bit.

I acquired a completely stock 1995 Mustang GT Conv. back in February, and decided that I was going to try to be as efficient with it as I can manage. When I received it, I was getting an abysmal 13 mpg. It had been in an accident at some point, and was sitting for about 8 months. Within a few months of first driving it, and very little physical changes to the car (reset the computer to learn how I drive, new plugs and wires, removed the a/c) I have managed to average up over 17. There's still a ways to go, and I am interested in seeing just how much I can get out of it.. I think my mpg can be improved greatly while still having the ability to let it gallop once in a while.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Howdy! Whoa, didn't know horses could get that low in mpg but at least you can only go up, right?

100+ hypermiling / ecodriving tips to increase gas mileage - EcoModder.com
big help on starting out for me

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Welcome to EM. Got a couple of other 'stang owners on the board. They should chime in
Old 08-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the greetings!

I just went ahead and put in my mileage data from the other site.. having the EPA comparison is a little daunting, but a really nice feature.

I am hoping that my relative lowness has something to do with the front suspension being a little on the screwey side. I am actually going in this afternoon to get a quote on getting it straightened up a bit.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Welcome,

And wow have you started behind the eight ball ... LOL

The car is beautiful, I should know I build them up here at work, but here is what I have noticed about the new Mustangs ..

-Horrible front end aero design
-Convertible top ... ouch ..
-Front and rear bumpers and body design allow the wheels to hang outside the bodyline, doing nothing but creating all kinds of bad airflow
-Mustang under bellies are a mess ...

The good news though is I was thinking about this very thing today as I stared at a GT500 and thought that a widebody kit would go a long way to improve the vehicles looks plus aerodynamics. Add a bellypan to this design and you can see some mean improvements ..

For now though concentrate on driving habits, I drove a coupe for a couple of days with a supercharger and was getting 19mpg on the hwy.

Good Luck

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome to ecomodder! Is the 95 stang obd2?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I *think* so.... but Im not sure... what would be a difference between OBD and OBD2? I know I have a jack tucked away around shin level somewhere.

(I am actually going nuts trying to find factory data to fill out the stuff in my garage entry.. I would imagine OBD generation would be hiding out with it somewhere.)
Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I think that some 95 mustangs came with obd2, should be a diagnostics port around where you mentioned. This allows you to hook up stuff like a scangauge II.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
My apologies on the comments regarding the 95 aero, I have new Mustang on the brain and convinced myself you had a 2005 Mustang convertible.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
xOrion73x -

Welcome to EM! You will find a good bunch of Mustangs here. To find out if you are OBD II compatible, go to an Autozone style store and see if they can read your car's OBD II port. Hmmmmm, but that will only "officially" cover scan codes. You want more info than that.

From what I understand, 1996 was the year of mandatory compliance, but the auto companies were implementing the OBD II spec early in some cars. I am betting you will be able to see "some but not all" OBD II variables. On Mustang forums you might get a better answer to this. Also, some of the other Mustang owners may be able to chime in for you.

I just went here and looked for your Mustang :

ScanGaugeII - Compatible Vehicle List
Code:
Year    Make     Model(s)          Engine(L)
1994    Ford     Mustang           3.8
1995    Ford     Mustang,Windstar  3.8
It looks like they implemented it on the 3.8 Liter drivetrains. Since you have a 5.0 Liter, your iffy for compatibility.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread