Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Here's a good technical and detailed presentation of the Coda battery pack and electrics; impressive really.

If only the sound was not just on the left channel...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
FYI: The April 1st edition of the PBS TV program Autoline Detroit featured a interview with a CODA executive.

His company's stated goal is constant, dependable and reliable range which did not fluctuate so much with driving style and terrain.

The apparent concept here is to eliminate or minimize range anxiety.

CODA Electric Vehicle, Electric Cars, Zero Emissions EV Car, Electric Vehicles | CODA Automotive

A very conventional car, one you might choose to do a hit & run in it's so freaking non-descriptive.

Then again, I bet their marketing shows that a futuristic or progressive aerodynamic looking electric car would scare most consumers off.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show a couple months ago. The thing is what you'd expect from a Chinese B segment sedan. Its interior is incredibly cheap and the steering wheel feels like it'd snap off if you looked at it wrong. Its exterior is, despite their efforts at updating the grille and adding DRL's, visually about ten years behind anything else on the road.

Regardless of power sources or economy I don't see many people buying this based on looks and interior quality alone. It could get 200mpge or run on grey water and I still might not consider buying it.

Then again I haven't driven one. Has anyone else experienced this car in person?

Last edited by Sven7; 04-05-2012 at 03:33 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Sven7 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show a couple months ago. The thing is what you'd expect from a Chinese B segment sedan. Its interior is incredibly cheap and the steering wheel feels like it'd snap off if you looked at it wrong. Its exterior is, despite their efforts at updating the grille and adding DRL's, visually about ten years behind anything else on the road.

Regardless of power sources or economy I don't see many people buying this based on looks and interior quality alone. It could get 200mpge or run on grey water and I still might not consider buying it.

Then again I haven't driven one. Has anyone else experienced this car in person?
I've seen it live at the Santa Monica alternative car show, but I never sat inside it. It's definitely a boring little car, *by* *design*. The idea was to make the car appear as conventional as possible. The Coda body must already exist as a regular gasser, so that lowers the R&D and UMC.

It may be that they didn't choose the chassis, the chassis may have chosen them by being low cost + able to support the battery weight.

I would like to know the price of the gasser version in China in relation to other Chinese cars. That would give me an idea as to what the chassis is costing them.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
Hello -

Ok, here it something :

Coda Sedan: 2012 Crash Testing = Five Stars? | Electric Car Conversion Blog
Quote:
The Coda Sedan has been selling in tiny numbers which is good, as many thought the car would never make it to market. The all-electric Coda sedan is based on a Chinese produced car called a “Chang’an E30″, but with no official crash test results available yet, the car is an unknown quantity safety wise.

So what about it’s identical Chinese twin, the Chang’an E30? How safe is that car in Chinese crash tests? Well, not bad actually, and Chinese crash tests are very similar to European and American crash tests – they’re just done a little slower.
Now, the E in E30 stands for electric, so maybe it is a ground-up electric.

More googling ... Ok I *think* this is the gasser :

Changan "ALSVIN"

Quote:
ALSVIN is mainly designed by Mr. Luxi Arrow, the internationally leading designer and chief European designer of Changan. It perfectly combines the internationally stylish vehicle philosophy and orient aesthetics. "YUEXIANG" has 6 spotlights including "dazzlingly dynamic appearance", "cozy driving", "economical and fuel saving", "safety and free from worries", "flexible space" and "caring service". Its innovative and bold design style and outstanding equipments will lead China's market of cars into a new era.

Dazzlingly Dynamic Appearance, Display Stylish Sport Genes

The appearance of ALSVIN has being modern, classic and dynamic as its key designing elements. 4360mm long car body and 2515mm wheel base ensures ALSVIN has the longest car body and broader interior space among the vehicles of the same-class. Its appearance is dazzlingly dynamic and smooth. The curve transmits naturally from the headstock to the cab. The design of tail hidden empennage is especially outstanding, which adds lively and smart sense while effectively reduce the formation of trailing vortex so as to reduce the driving resistance.
CarloSW2

Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The discussion I heard before was that it was a low-end Chinese production car, with leather seats and flashy electronics to distract from the sub-econobox material quality. The description above seems to confirm that.

The floorpan must be a from-scratch design to support the under-seat and in-spine battery layout (compare to the spine-only 'T' battery layout in the Volt), but the body appears very similar to the gas version. I wonder about the interior volume, especially headroom.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
DJBecker -

Quote:
The floorpan must be a from-scratch design to support the under-seat and in-spine battery layout (compare to the spine-only 'T' battery layout in the Volt), but the body appears very similar to the gas version. I wonder about the interior volume, especially headroom.
Here you go :

CODA Electric Vehicle Photo Gallery, CODA Pictures, CODA Images | CODA Automotive

CarloSW2

Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
2012 Coda electric sedan

Green Car Reports lists the 2012 Coda Electric Vehicle as a genuine EV intended for the mass market. Kinda pricey, next to the Mitsubishi. Anyone have any experience with it, or knowledge of it? Is it selling?

[Thanks to Metro for posting the Green Car Reports article on "compliance cars"]

james

[EDIT: fixed broken link.]
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 06-08-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Here is a link, yours is broken.
CODA Electric Vehicle, Electric Cars, Zero Emissions EV Car, Electric Vehicles | CODA Automotive

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
Hello -

Cross posting :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...car-13290.html

CarloSW2

Reply  Post New Thread