Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Nice adaptation, love the splitter too.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The MS can log fuel usage (and really anything else you want). There are a number of ways to view that data... laptop/phone/etc. Here's one to get you started. msDroid :: MegaSquirt configuration and log recorder / viewer for Android If you check some MS forums, you may find some better options.

I love that you have the slant running with an MS. I started one as a project in the past, but never got too far. Had a '71 and a'74 Valiant. I don't think either of them saw any higher than 18mpg and any lower than 17mpg.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

Lucky No 19 - '11 Ram 1500 Express ST

Venti - '13 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Looks mighty fine to me! I especially like the tin work under it
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
fuel conserver

Civic - '99 Honda Civic EX
Love it and the Dart
'22 Tundra TRD OR
'04 RX330
'05 Tacoma 4x4
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the nice comments.I have been watching the progress of the blue tooth android connection for awhile. I am afraid the droid/blue tooth connection is over my head at this point. From the FB comments I read I am not the only one to feel this way. I will look into it further though. Thanks for bringing it up.

For now, I would like to refocus the discussion on the airdam theories floating around. I will get a thread started, or look for an existing one on the fuel usage monitoring on Megasquirt. I got the idea for the front pan and splitter from a British publication that is on line in which a fellow added a pan to an early Prius and saw a significant improvement in actual mileage measured. After reading on line a bit I could see that with the extremely dirty lower area on these old Mopars, a front air dam was kind of a no brainer. The bumpers are high, and there is much stuff hanging out down below there. The radiator core support, K member, and sway bar all create quite of a bit of obstruction. So I designed a metal pan to cover the area between the bumper and the radiator lower edge, which drops down at about a 15 degree angle, and then designed the air dam to hang down as low as the lowest part, and finish it off below with a level, full lower pan. A splitter apparently is designed to create down force at speed. This is a feature I do not really need, but thought it looked cool, and likely is not hurting anything. The finishing touch is the tabs I added in front of the wheels. Research shows that this sometimes helps, and sometimes does not help much, but I decided to add them just in case.

Now I wish to improve the frontal area a bit more by blocking off the radiator when not needed. I would like to automate it somehow, but may end up simply putting a louvered vent cap of some kind in there and working it with a manual cable, or motor actuated with a switch. This would help with quicker warm up if nothing else.

Any ideas along those lines, or links to pages where this has been done or discussed would be eagerly read. Thanks again. I have been reading other threads here and soaking stuff up as much as possible for a newcomer.

Sam

Reply  Post New Thread