Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blu - '08 Subaru Outback Limited
Hey all, how's it goin?

Hey everybody. '08 Subaru Outback owner here from Southern California, where I have no real need for AWD except snowboarding.

I indirectly discovered hypermiling when I attempted to see if I could get as many miles as my buddy that has a Scion xB(the older ones). The OB is rated at 21/26. So far I've managed to get it up to 22.3/30 just by driving technique and a K&N air filter. I never really knew what hypermiling was till I saw a post in the outback forum I'm involved in about basjoos' aerocivic. By that time I've already got all the techniques down and I decided that once gas hits $5 a gallon in my area(I think it's at $4.50 or something of the sort), I'm going to add on some modifications of my own. A guy on the outback forums blocked off his front grill and added something on the bottom, but it seems like the car would overheat and he's reporting his engine choking a little bit.

So I figure I need to come to a place where people know what they're talking about. I went to the outback forums before I bought my outback(story below), and I'm going to this place before I begin my destiny to have the oddest, best car in the San Fernando Valley.

Anyways, the story about my scooby.

When I had my permit, my dad told me he would get me a car as soon as I got my license, because that's what he did for my big brother, and I guess I'm fairing better off than he is, so he said he'd buy me whatever. I'm not a big fan of luxury cars or whatever you call those mobile, fragile diamonds. I decided on the Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab. The inside was big enough to fit my interior space needs, and the bed would be big enough for a couple of snowboards and some clothes or a dirtbike. Many excuses and missing birthday presents later, we arrive 5 months before my birthday. I've already begun requesting quotes from Chevy dealers about the truck, and my dad brings me an offer I couldn't refuse(literally). He'd buy the truck if I paid for half of it and gas, however, he'd buy a car for me and he'd pay the whole thing AND gas. The problem being...I hate cars. I can't stand the size of a car at all. Be it my friend's BMW, my ma's Mercedez Benz, or my girlfriend's Toyota Camry. I hate it. So after about a month of searching for a vehicle that isn't a car, SUV, or truck; I decided to take a brake and watch some random videos on youtube. I saw a video of some Subaru STi(I think) rallying in the snow at the DC freestyle snow park with some of the DC snow team. The idea of the Outback just hit me like a professional MMA fighter kicking me in the nuts.

So thanks for reading my story and....sorry if I bug you with a lot of dumb questions about cars. Nice to meet y'all

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RA66IT - '03 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 41.14 mpg (US)
Welcome and great story. Are you glad you went with the OB instead of the Silvie with the way the gas prices have gone? I would be.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome to ecomodder! I bet you can squeeze some decent mileage out of the subby.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Cool story about the subby, welcome to EM
Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blu - '08 Subaru Outback Limited
it's rated at 21/26 but I get 22.4/30

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
outback, subaru