Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello, new member here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just going for the 5 post minimum needed so I can put a link in a post.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Not to worry, I'm not a spammer.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't actually have an interest in hypermiling as you guys do it.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I do, however, have an interest in fuel efficiency. My current project is a 2000 Silverado. So far I've reduced engine size and adjusted gearing and tire size in an attempt to increase mileage. I've also added electric fans to the truck. Work in progress, which is why I'm here now. Came here looking for a CAN expert.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK, got my post in.

I have no idea how much of an improvement my current mods have gotten as the new, smaller engine (went from a 5.3 to a 4.8) hasn't run through it's first tank of gas yet. I've gone about 200 miles, and the gas gauge is between 5/8 and 3/4 still yet. With the previous setup, I'd be closer to the halfway point.

The efans on my 2000 came off a GMT800 2007 model, and using EFI Live I was able to manage the fans using the factory computer. After getting an oil leak fixed on the new engine caused by the builder, I can now begin tuning for maximum mileage using a wideband oxygen sensor using the same EFI Live software as soon as I finish the 500 mile break-in procedure.

Ultimately I'd like to take all accessories off the engine aside from an oversized alternator. If I can make this work, then I have future project plans for a serial hybrid.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post
I don't actually have an interest in hypermiling as you guys do it.
All generalizations are dangerous, including this one. We're definitely not a homogenous group of hypermilers here.

No two people drive the same way. (And some people don't even like using the "hypermiling" label, despite using plenty of fuel-saving techniques.) A driver is free to pick and choose from dozens of techniques / strategies and selectively apply them depending on goals, limitations & circumstances.

That said... welcome to the forum!

I hope you'll start a thread that details the work you've done and have planned for your truck. Plenty of members will be interested.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nightingale - '94 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.43 mpg (US)

Unohana - '05 Nissan Altima S
90 day: 29.54 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forum. That's pretty cool doing an engine swap on that big ol' thing. Did you end up swapping out the computer on the Silverado with the one with the 4.8? Also did you have to swap the transmission?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, Metro. Good deal on everyone doing their own thing, a few of these sites do get a little, shall we say, intense about different opinions. I'm actually a bit of a speed freak, but I prefer to get the most power possible per gallon. I'd rather have a car that gets a 12 second quarter while getting 15MPG than a 10 second car getting 5MPG, for example. My goal with this 4x4 truck is to get 20+MPG, be able to cruise at 80+MPH for hours on end, and go 10 seconds in the quarter. I'm not likely to make my quarter mile goal, but the other two are well within reach.

98, the 4.8 and 5.3 use the same computer although the parameters are different. I did swap transmissions, but it was because the transmission was also failing. Right before installing the 4.8 I replaced the 4L60E transmission with a 4L80E. This required having a new crossmember made up, adding a speed sensor and repinning the main plug to the 4L80E's configuration. So far as the computer goes I have EFI Live, which allows total access to the computer. I just had to drop a new segment in for the transmission, and make a few changes in the engine program to account for the missing half liter. Next step after break-in is to use a wideband O2 sensor in conjunction with the program's scanner function to tune the airflow, fueling and timing. That should net my 20+MPG fuel efficiency goal. I'm hoping that my main reason for coming here, finding a way to offload my accessories from the engine, will help me get closer to the quarter miling goal.

Reply  Post New Thread