Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi everyone! here`s what i`m currently on with...

Hi everyone
I was a "lurker" for a while , then joined a few weeks back.
This is an absolutely fantastic site, so just had to join!

My vehicle project is a 1976 reliant kitten
They were supposed to do about 55MPG (UK) when they came out.
weight is about 550kg
Fiberglass body, basic style chassis.

My plan is to try and get it to turn in 100MPG driven carefully, but also have a top speed of 80 - 100 mph with good acceleration when required.

It will also be a test bed for a lot of my ideas, so it will need to be modified so that I have easy access to any parts and the engine.

How am I going to achieve this?

After reading a lot of info on here and learning things from a few other sources, here`s the rough plan:

Removal of the bodyshell for the time being to facilitate work.
Bigger diameter tyres, as narrow as I can get them
Electric engine cooling fan
Conversion to a Hybrid
Removal of any un-required electrical equipment.
Any essential electrical equipment modified to be take as little power as possible.
Electric water pump.
Fuel injection
Thats it for the moment. I will try and keep updating as I go along

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I work in the generator industry and make permanent magnet alternators. and normal synchronous generators from 5000 watts to 3mw.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simondo View Post
Conversion to a Hybrid
Unless you swap the entire drivetrain out of a hybrid, this is going to be tough.
Hybrids typically have computers sorting out how the drivetrain has to react to driver input, and complex mechanics to actually do that.

A Volvo-style hybrid is the easiest, front wheel drive combustion engine and rear wheel drive electric motor. Even then it won't be easy to combine both powerplants. But when you're going that path, why not convert it to a full EV right away ?

Alternatively, swap the engine for a more economic, recent small-displacement engine < 1L .

Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simondo View Post
I work in the generator industry and make permanent magnet alternators. and normal synchronous generators from 5000 watts to 3mw.
Is that what you're thinking about : using the combustion engine as a generator feeding the batteries and an electric engine that propels the car ?

Regular car engines aren't very efficient as generators.
Audi are even developing a small wankel for the purpose - even they didn't dive into their VW part box and grab a small TDi.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Is that what you're thinking about : using the combustion engine as a generator feeding the batteries and an electric engine that propels the car ?

Regular car engines aren't very efficient as generators.
Audi are even developing a small wankel for the purpose - even they didn't dive into their VW part box and grab a small TDi.
I won`t be using a generator to feed batteries, one part of the company I work in uses power electronics and also makes large inverters and PWM speed controls. I work with some seriously clever electronics people, and also with some pretty good alternator designers.

The reason I chose the reliant for my base is because it comes with a little 850cc alloy block and head engine. My current plan is to fit and electric motor between the back axle and gearbox, or even the other end of the diff case, depening on what motor i use. I should be able to pick enough brains at work to be able to sort out whatever i need when it comes to electronics. I`m surrounded buy people with Ph D`s in this sort of stuff.

This first version will be a test bed for all sorts of ideas, way out ones and obvious ones.

Thats the plan at the moment any.

Reason I`ve not gone full EV right away is I want to be able to test some things that wou;ld probably best be done with an engine in back up in case it does not work out!

Cheers

Simondo

Reply  Post New Thread