Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Toyota - '07 Toyota Avensis T25 Combi Sol
90 day: 48.79 mpg (US)

Lotus - '08 Lotus Elise SC Sports Pack
Smile Hi from Germany

Howdy,...
after reading Julian Edgar's book ("how to modify the aerodynamics [...]") I got a bit obsessed with the ecomodding topic - and finally take the chance to briefly introduce myself.

I'm a big fan of cars, especially sport cars, Toyota's Hybrid technology and TESLA with a bit of a broad Engineering background in academia and a more specific background in automotive industry.

Cars:
The daily driver: Toyota Avensis estate car, 2.0 diesel, 124 hp, unknown in the US, but sold in Europe. Eco mods are rather difficult due to German authorities, requiring them to either blend in or be hidden. I currently have the 70% of the upper front grill blocked with car wrap, similar to its exterieur color, and are building rim covers that look "non-suspicious". Other (non aero) mods refer to DPF, EGR and software. Car is used for most things, including car camping, and by now has 160k miles.
Details of all aero mods will get uploaded seperately soon.
fuel efficiency is logged here: here.

The toy: Lotus Elise Supercharged. From my pov the greatest example for aerodynamic engineering. Surprisingly low running costs considering its performance. Like the Toyota Avensis, british build, but with a japanese engine (2ZZ-GE, engineered by Jamaha for extra high revs).

Other interests are hang gliding, air gun shooting, model plane flying and yes - money and frugal living

Best wishes,
Constantin

The Following User Says Thank You to Constantin For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (12-17-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master procastinator

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
Welcome to the site! Fellow european here. Also, fellow avensis owner. T22 to be precise. A little more kms on the clock than yours though. (405000)
Have to say i did not know lotus uses toyota engines

So, about the car modding in Germany. What are you allowed to do "freely"?
In Finland you can do a lot of mods, bigger ones you have to get separately inspected and approved. (engine swap, lowering springs etc.)

Old 12-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

405k km?? That's an impressive mileage. Toyota arranges 'high mileage' days on an annual basis - they even had an T22 with more than a million miles on the odometer.
What did you need to change on your car till now?

In Germany, a lot is possible - but difficult and/or pricey. As a rule of thumb every part installed is required to have an ECE-Number, that confirms it's conformity. Some don't, such as vinyl covers etc.. Also, if you don't have an ECE-number, you need to get your car inspected. However, if you can't provide specific material data...material strength etc. to enable them making an informed decision, your request usually gets declined. Cost range from 100€ to 700€. So.....no thanks ^^.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master procastinator

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
405k km?? That's an impressive mileage. Toyota arranges 'high mileage' days on an annual basis - they even had an T22 with more than a million miles on the odometer.
What did you need to change on your car till now?

In Germany, a lot is possible - but difficult and/or pricey. As a rule of thumb every part installed is required to have an ECE-Number, that confirms it's conformity. Some don't, such as vinyl covers etc.. Also, if you don't have an ECE-number, you need to get your car inspected. However, if you can't provide specific material data...material strength etc. to enable them making an informed decision, your request usually gets declined. Cost range from 100€ to 700€. So.....no thanks ^^.

I bought it with 375k, some basic stuff is replaced like alternator, springs&shocks etc.
It has the original engine&gearbox. Not sure if the clutch is original, at least no mentioning on the maintenance log of it. Sure, the car has its flaws and an overall "tired" feel to it but it runs&drives as a perfect daily commuter

Old 12-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Still impressive. I haven't change anything since since the last 250k km, except the DPF that gave up at 220k. The gasoline engines are even more bullet prove I think.
Besides - 'boring' cars are great, who needs the excitement of being stuck with needing to repair your car each any time ^^. The Avensis is the most amazing car I ever had, best quality ever, although the fuel consumption could be a bit lower...but one can't have all .
Old 01-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
The gasoline engines are even more bullet prove I think.
Not having to deal with a DPF makes the gassers seem more bulletproof nowadays, plus Toyota remains more focused on natural aspiration when it comes to gassers

Reply  Post New Thread