Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
In regards to the neutral down hills it might be counter productive. Do you know if your Hyundai has DFCO? If so your mpg
Gauge would read 99.9 mpg
When you let off the gas down hills.

If it does that the injectors shut off when the ecu senses the closed throttle position. That is more efficient than idling in neutral

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Vex
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
In regards to the neutral down hills it might be counter productive. Do you know if your Hyundai has DFCO? If so your mpg
Gauge would read 99.9 mpg
When you let off the gas down hills.

If it does that the injectors shut off when the ecu senses the closed throttle position. That is more efficient than idling in neutral
I'm due for service soon on the sonata, maybe we could meet up sometime?

Not sure if my car has DFCO. I have an instant MPG meter, but it tops out at 50 MPG..and so long as I'm traveling faster than idle speed, that always reads 50 when i let off the gas pedal.

Eventually, I will get a scangauge/ultragauge, but until then, I'll just have to practice as best as I can.

I would like to get the bike to around 55 mpg, but I can't change too much in the engine, since I still need to be able to tow around 250-300lbs with the bike. The trailer weighs 160 lbs itself, where the rest of the weight would be from cargo.

I usually average 42-44 MPG pulling the trailer with around 100 pounds of cargo (all highway).

I've considered getting a front sprocket to help with lowering RPMs at highway speeds, but no funds right now.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Team Honda
If you let up on the gas and it jumps right up to 50 and stays there it sounds like it has dfco. Most cars should have it nowadays. Easier to tell with a scan gauge.

Scranton ecomodder meetup!! Haha
Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Vex
EcoModding Lurker

Oh ok, thank guys!

Another question...can someone point me in the right direction for a video of how to properly execute the pulse and glide technique? I understand going slightly about speed, then coasting down to it or just below it, but how "fast" should I be trying to get to the peak speed of the pulse part? And again, take in consideration I may either be getting there faster, or trying to go slower due to my low RPM, low load turbo spooling.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
Oh ok, thank guys!

Another question...can someone point me in the right direction for a video of how to properly execute the pulse and glide ?...
Use this site's search function. I believe there is a thread of videos for pulse and glide technique...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Like this (search youtube pulse glide)....

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-01-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Vex
EcoModding Lurker

Well, due to financial difficulties, I have to sell the car and bike. I am now looking at getting a 2003-05 honda civic hybrid, a 2003 or older vw jetta tdi, an older regular civic, or something else similar...(the vw and hybrid will be manual trans, since I read that the autos had too many problems)
My budget is $5k....
Any other suggestions? Looking for reliability (at least 2 years) and good economy right from the get-go....
Also, if there are know problems with a particular part, I'd like to know...I've searched mostly on these few cars, and as I stated, the trans were the biggest issues...next being that the hybrid battery is $$$$ if it goes...and that the vw is $$$ in general for anything....

Thanks in advance!

A
Old 11-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Team Honda
Sorry to hear that. Hope you find something good. 1st gen insights are very popular on here and the 5 speed ones still yield above 50mpg even if the battery goes. Downside is they are 2 seaters.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Vex
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope you find something good. 1st gen insights are very popular on here and the 5 speed ones still yield above 50mpg even if the battery goes. Downside is they are 2 seaters.
After doing some digging around this forum, I noticed thise insights...however, on the rare occasion that I have any passengers at all, there's usually more than one...so that's not going to be practical...

I also forgot to thank reddevil for the link. Thanks! And let me tell you, without one of the gauges, trying to p and g with the sonata is tricky....you'll lose quite a bit of gas on the hills by me...trying to somewhat gently get up to a good speed for the glide....

Having a manual will make things waaaay easier...

Reply  Post New Thread