Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi all, just a quick update:

Found out the motor is series wound, and is worth $1300 refurbished (we got ours for $100)

RE: batteries and budget

We found free batteries. Maybe. A guy (legend) in Perth has several hundred nicd 1.2V 40ah cells to give away - from an old aviation company, barely used. This is great because they have an incredibly long service life and are quite difficult to ruin. Apparently. But they're free which is great. We just have to pay a couple hundred in shipping, bringing our total spend to $600 and leaving $400 for the rest of the build.

We're looking at running a higher voltage now, a 72V or 96V should get us the range we need, or two 72v packs in parallel. my best estimates for a 72V 40aho pack are between 20-30km range.

But I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.

Anyway, progress being made and coming in under budget is far more likely with this development. Sweet.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
That's great news all around.

I knew the same guy (surplus airplane NiCd cells)! But my guy was for real and lives in Ottawa. I declined taking those cells off his hands only because I had a line on "known condition" used golf cart batteries.

Keep us posted!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK so a new development, the same guy that offered the free nicd cells has a contact with free nimh cells here in Melbourne, so I wouldn't even have to pay shipping.

As they are sealed and come in plastic cases rated to hold the mass of the batteries, we only need to bolt them in. This also means they can fit neatly in the back seat area with no vented box needed.

There are some which will have to be thrown out, and I'll have to test ALL of them for capacity before using them, which will be a real mission, but again they're free. So I'm happy to put in the work to keep to our budget.

Usable capacity is around 20ah, maybe more, which I've estimated will get us around 15 miles/25km range and get me to work and back. If not, there are enough cells to add another set in parallel later on (I haven't yet worked out if this is a good idea or not).

Also, I got an offer for 7 sealed lead acids with around 90% capacity left that may or may not be good enough. Ideally this would be a back up option to run a 72v pack if the nickel offers fall through. They are only $20 each. Had I got this offer a month or two ago I would have taken it straight away but I'm willing to see through the nimh's for the extra speed and range we could get.

Other things, looking at running an accessory battery under the bonnet to even out the weight of the batteries in the back (the individual cells are too tall to fit in the engine bay), and rather than using a dc-dc converter.

Also purchased a second hand inertia switch ($13) for emergency cutoff in case of a crash - My first purchase since I got the motor.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by themainstreetexile View Post
We're looking at running a higher voltage now, a 72V or 96V should get us the range we need, or two 72v packs in parallel.
I suggest that instead of two parallel packs, go with parallel pairs of batteries with the pairs in series. Much easier to keep track of voltages and much easier to keep balanced. See my build or blog in my signature and check out my wiring diagram.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the tip mechman. That's a great blog you have there!

I have just updated our blog with some info and a (6 month old) video of us pulling the ICE components out. See my signature for the blog link.

FYI I looked at buying the raider charger on ebay after looking at your blog and the postage to Australia makes it $60!!! Oh to be building this EV in North America!

studentev.blogspot.com.au
The Following User Says Thank You to themainstreetexile For This Useful Post:
mechman600 (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
For what it's worth, I think the Raider is easily worth $60+. It works ridiculously well - better than some $100+ chargers I've used.

And thanks for the kind words!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

We got the (free) batteries!

Two 125V packs of nimh cells, 20ah. We are planning on removing the dead cells and consolidating the best ones into one good pack.

Should get us our range of 25km IF we keep our host vehicle.

I was looking the other day at the panel work that will need to be done (some rust, dents on both sides, some in tricky places) and wondering if we will blow our budget on body work alone! The car has been against a fence for a while - the bad side not really visible. Also, the key that came with the car doesn't open anything... ****! Why didn't I check all of this?

So I'm in limbo, get a new vehicle? Or fix this one? As we've planned on our range goal of 25km being achieved in this car (600kg, 1250lb) if we get anything else it will be heavier and won't go as far!

Any advice at this point is welcome.

But the good news is, like I mentioned, we have plenty of batteries, possible lines for more if we do end up with a heavier car.

Bitter sweet stuff!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Congrats on the batteries!

Is the car body really that bad? I've only seen one side of it in the video, and it looked fine to me. Dents & surface rust (assuming it's surface rust) ... is it really an issue?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I'm still deciding whether it is or not. It has made me kind of more motivated to get it done, save scrapping the car and adhere to the environmental principles that made me want to do the project in the first place!

I had a look and I can't find a single car with as low a curb weight as our current vehicle.

There is some proper rust in the fuel inlet area, but I have to remove this anyway. Also, on the inside of the rear hatch - not a structural area, and I think I can get rid of most of it and putty it up.

Other than that just dents one one side, I have been looking for a replacement door, which would save a load of trouble!

Nice boat tail by the way! I need to spend more time on the forum!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themainstreetexile View Post
Yeah I'm still deciding whether it is or not. It has made me kind of more motivated to get it done, save scrapping the car and adhere to the environmental principles that made me want to do the project in the first place!

I had a look and I can't find a single car with as low a curb weight as our current vehicle.

There is some proper rust in the fuel inlet area, but I have to remove this anyway. Also, on the inside of the rear hatch - not a structural area, and I think I can get rid of most of it and putty it up.

Other than that just dents one one side, I have been looking for a replacement door, which would save a load of trouble!

Nice boat tail by the way! I need to spend more time on the forum!
Subscribed, I'm keen to see how you travel through and get it through to registered and on the road.