Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
My awesome cousin gave us a car!!!

Hey folks,
Because of time constraints, I've just been lurking more than posting lately.

Since I had time today, I thought I would share with ya'll that as of last weekend we have a new ride at our house, at least new to us. My wonderful cousin knew that we have been looking around for a cheap/inexpensive vehicle for our son to purchase with his limited savings. Well, her neighbor was ready to let go of an older car and my cousin got a good deal on it, bought it and gave to us for our son to use.

It is a 1994 Buick Century, 3.1L V6, Front Wheel Drive with 92,000 miles on it. The interior and exterior are in great shape for a 17 yr old vehicle. It has relatively new tires with less than 1k miles on them. The car has been driven very little over the past couple of years.

We got an oil and filter change & lube job done on it a couple of days ago. We haven't had much time to do other stuff yet. Plus, my son is gonna be responsible for the bulk of the $ spent on this car, so I'm trying to make sure he doesn't go crazy and blow all his money at once.

I'm still in the process of learning about this vehicle and engine. I have not worked on one of these before, so my son and I will be working together alot on this car. I told him he will be mainly responsible for things done to it and I will help out some and supervise alot.

I've got some questions for the good folks here at ecomodder....
1. What is a good web forum for Buicks? I'm on 2 for my s10, but haven't looked into any for a Buick.

2. Do ya'll know of any big issues with these cars that I need to keep my eyes open for?

3. What are some of your ideas of things we need to do soon to make sure we get this car into good running order? I have some ideas of my own, but I want to hear from you to compare ideas and make sure we don't overlook something.

Thanks in advance for any answers ya'll give and thanks for everyone who makes this a great forum.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Thanks for the info NateHale88!!

307k....wow....I hope we can get that much life outta this thing.

I'll be sure to check the oil cap out soon. Changing out the antifreeze is one of MANY things that I told my son that needed to happen pretty soon.

I'll try to get my son started on a fuel log so he can see his $$ flowing out through his exhaust. We went last weekend to Atlanta to pick it up, and I think on the way back we got about 25mpg. I didn't write down exact info but quick figuring in my head said that was close.

Thanks for that website also. I glanced at it a minute ago and it seems pretty informative.

Oh yeah, and here is a pic of the car....not too bad for a freebie

Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
nice ride. way back when I had a 91 Lumina with the 3.1 as a commuter car I put 235,000 miles on it before trading it in. only part replaced on it was 1 waterpump and 4 alternators ... Lifetime warranty is the best driving flat out on the NY State north way burn those babies up.

good luck with it
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*

Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

welcome to em and nice freebie

Reply  Post New Thread