Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
+1 on the diesel recommendations. I'm reminded of the old VW Caddy pickup, and I specifically remember Popular Science printing the little pickup's fuel economy: 57mpg at 45 mph. A simple bellypan and a nice aerocap would probably make 57 @ 65 a completely achievable goal. Of course, you'd have to accept a 0-60 time best measured with a calendar, but them's the breaks.
Since the Mk4 VW's have a turbo, they're a bit more fun than the old non-turbo diesels. My mods include larger injectors and a performance tune, which not only made the Jetta a LOT more fun to drive, but ALSO improved my FE... one of those "have your cake and eat it too" deals...

That's one of the reasons I'm no longer driving my VX... with the Jetta I can load it to the gills with people and luggage and average 60mpg per tank in comfort, over the Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountain ranges. With the VX, I may not even make it over the first mountain range...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
The bodyshell of a 1st-gen Insight is a nice base for such project. There was a guy who fitted one with an Euro-spec 1.2L 3-pot Volkswagen TDI and was getting close to 100MPG even with the IMA disabled.

Reply  Post New Thread