Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
confessions from a reformed @$%$# driver

Hi everyone! just wanted to share a bit of my story in how I have smartened up on my driving and my attempt to be environmentally responsible. Until recently I have not cared about how much gas or tires I burned up. I have always accelerated hard and braked hard. Whenever somebody would mention fuel economy I would often joke that if we are going to run out of oil then I am going to get my share before we do Until recently my vehicles have always been viewed and driven as toys. almost all have had straight pipes with no cats and any of that "silly emissions crap" removed. One of my cars, an 85 cutlass supreme with a SB 400 and 3.73 gears... I kept track of my MPG on a tank and got just over 6 mpg... admittedly it was my favorite car... Now I am going to try and make up for the way I have been My van is now a tool and the size is a necessary evil. I am going to attempt to do as good as I can in it though within reason anyway unless I can think of a way to store cabinetry in a boatail i don't think i will be adding one to the Astro This is my first week practicing my hypermilling and after a week of driving my gas gauge is just at the full line usually i would be at the 3/4 by now... so huge improvement just by learning to drive all over again. It has been hard though I think it is ingrained in my DNA to drive quickly... recovery will be a long road

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
I was like this aswell my last car i had i was constantly racing friends doing 100+ bumper to bumper, after 7k miles of buying the car the oil pump quit only had 118k miles on the car when i bought the car im currently driving i had did a lil bit of quick accelerating just because of all the extra power i had never had. but wen i filled up and was getting 16mpg when the combined for my car was 20 and i was driving all country roads with no stops. i decided it was time to try something new not only for better Fe but to save this car for a while

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
Good to hear, i think many of us used to do the same untill we opened our eyes.

So you have an astro van? what type of driving do you do?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
It has been hard though I think it is ingrained in my DNA to drive quickly... recovery will be a long road
The upside is that you're used to carrying a good deal of momentum through the corners.
Not slowing down for a bend means you don't have to accelerate again afterwards
Works great when you're coasting along.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
This is my first week practicing my hypermilling and after a week of driving my gas gauge is just at the full line usually i would be at the 3/4 by now... so huge improvement just by learning to drive all over again. It has been hard though I think it is ingrained in my DNA to drive quickly... recovery will be a long road
Congratulations on your first week. This is the home of the 100+ step recovery program 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com.

Don't forget to post our car and your fuel usage to the garage.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
New driving habits develop fast as the old ones fade away.
It is challenging to drive economically, which I find replaces the challenge of getting to my destination in a record time.
Beating your best record mpg achievement is a huge challenge to take on, Trying to get more miles per tank takes as much concentration as beating all the lights on a speed run,perhaps more.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I used to drive all crazy too, racing on the highway, drifting corners, until I pushed it too far one day, took a corner at 55 (which was marked for 15) and flipped a mid-size pick-up truck with my '85 civic hatchback, totaling both vehicles.

But these days I find hypermiling to be just as challenging and engaging and fun as high speed driving was, but with the upside of saving cash and the bonus of being good to life on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Now I am going to try and make up for the way I have been
So, I'm curious: what prompted the change?

(Guess: shortage of "change" in the change dish?)

I agree with the sentiment others have made: I spent many hours at lapping sessions on race tracks in my misguided youth. It was challenging and fun - and rewarding to see skills improve. (And I'm only joking about the "misguided" part ... as far as it relates to track sessions anyway. That style of driving is a huge waste of fuel, but I also learned a heck of a lot about vehicle dynamics, traction & car control that made me a better driver in the long run.)

Driving for efficiency is also challenging and fun, and extra "rewarding" as skills improve. And as a bonus, it's something you can do all the time on public roads without breaking laws and/or putting your licence at risk.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Glad to see I am not the only one the main reason I have decided to change my driving habits is due to age I assume? Just realizing how reckless and wasteful I have been. Saving money is a bonus for sure! But not the only reason. I have become more aware of the environment in general. I recycle bottles and am trying to get a composter approved for my condo/strata. I like to encourage repairing cabinetry vs replacement (when feasable) even though I would make more $ putting in new... I do mostly in town driving but go on the highway enough that I would like to improve aerodynamics. Planning on installing a swaybar in the rear so I can corner without wasting momentum. Also planning on removing mechanical fan and ac...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Filled up my tank yesterday for the first time in just over a month I got 17.7MPG with no mods other then tires inflated to 50psi. I relapsed for a couple days but got back on track and am pleased with the results. I look forward to my next fill-up... never thought i would say that

edit: my mpg was imp, i guess i have no reason to celebrate yet

Last edited by chrisgerman1983; 05-31-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread