Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another aero mod is to replace your standard metal framed windscreen wipers with aero blade designs. Lower profile, less aero drag + they work better.

Bosch and Tridon make the hook versions required for VT-VZ commodores.

Compare the difference

also removing side body mouldings, badges etc can reduce your cars cross section and Cd, improving aero.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
some great info on here, i have a VT wagon in my fleet and have been looking at different things to help aero, i have already fitted a VX SS front end to get the bumper closer to the ground and deflect air around the front wheels better

also the rear spoiler on Adventra wagons looks to me to be better for aero than the standard VT-VZ wagon one, thoughts?

Adventra:

VT Wagon:

of course the roof racks, increased ride height and flares would cancel out any benefits of the spoiler but it would be interesting to see a comparison between the 2 spoilers

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326

Last edited by bobo333; 06-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: pic links no worky
Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Being a stupid American, I had to go to Wikipedia to learn that a Holden Commodore is called a Pontiac G8 up here.

"Internationally, the Commodore is again badge engineered as the Chevrolet Lumina and Chevrolet Omega, along with its new export market in the United States as the Pontiac G8 (discontinued as of 2010 along with the Pontiac brand)."

Whenever I see a G6 on the road, it's nicely-sloped rear window always makes me do a double take. It looks similar to the ECOmmodore.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
some great info on here, i have a VT wagon in my fleet and have been looking at different things to help aero, i have already fitted a VX SS front end to get the bumper closer to the ground and deflect air around the front wheels better

also the rear spoiler on Adventra wagons looks to me to be better for aero than the standard VT-VZ wagon one, thoughts?

Adventra:

VT Wagon:

of course the roof racks, increased ride height and flares would cancel out any benefits of the spoiler but it would be interesting to see a comparison between the 2 spoilers
I know the VT Wagons rear spoiler was designed to direct air down the rear glass to help blow away water drops. I imagine that would make a lot of turbulence = drag.

The Adventurer rear spoiler looks like it is designed to create a cleaner seperation, and hence I would agree it should create less drag.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Whenever I see a G6 on the road, it's nicely-sloped rear window always makes me do a double take. It looks similar to the ECOmmodore.
They were actually made from the same profile, though the Ecommodore was a 4 door whilst the G6/Monaro was a 2 door.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by galahs View Post
I know the VT Wagons rear spoiler was designed to direct air down the rear glass to help blow away water drops. I imagine that would make a lot of turbulence = drag.
If it manages to get the air to fill your wake without too much drag, it could well be an advantage.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
If it manages to get the air to fill your wake without too much drag, it could well be an advantage.
Possibly. Maybe some wool tuft testing is in order.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've noticed lately the V8 Supercars have been running full grill blocks for better aero.

They used to use the grill between the lights to pickup air for their engine air intakes, but now they pick that air from the lower radiator opening as can be seen in this pic below.

The Following User Says Thank You to galahs For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have been considering different ways of blocking the VT and VX grill from the behind to maintain a stock appearance. Still undecided on a good way to procede. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

a good example of grill blocking was the Shell EB Ford Falcon V8 Supercars. Here they used yellow pvc tape to block of the grill between the headlights to improve aerodynamics

Reply  Post New Thread