Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here are some pictures of the VF Commodore Ute in the wind tunnel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to galahs For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-29-2014), mikeyjd (03-01-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

lol when I saw this thread I thought to myself, uhm, ok...

But then I realized that there is some truth to it.

It wasn't always the case though. VB for example.

The VB is probably the first and last holden that I would ever consider buying, none of the other cars really caught on that much, especially with a lack of interior space in the front of most modern holdens.

I have really long legs, so in this interior my knees are up touching the windscreen:

Feeling claustrophobic? Even the gearstick shifter appears to have eaten a bit too much this afternoon, look at that bulge!.

And that hole that they call a wheel leg well is actually only about 1 foot wide. I need at least 2 feet wide to fit my feet in.

Then they started to get a bit better:

Still going with the mushroom look here though.

And then finally they just copied off of Ford and went with a "oh this is a bit more straight but in actuality its still a puffy interior"

The horn/airbag reminds me of a large tounge, And whats with that handbrake???

Now, considering that when I'm in my vehicle I usually only ever see the interior of a car, and a bit of the bonnet, I would have thought that interior design would have been a bit higher up there on their list of things to improve.

Ford EF Falcon for comparison:

Spacious interior abound, I once went drilling for oil in here, even raised cattle once.

The Holdens really have a lack of parallel lines in their design, lack of matching edges, they are always going to one extreme or another, and if car design was a concert amplifier Holdens would probably take the "puffyness" volume control to 13. everything is always oddly sized and far too "Convex", From a mathematical viewpoint in my opinion a puffed up bag of air is not very good looking for a car.

However this thread has proven that they are very well designed aerodynamically.

I never liked them though, they make me want to throw up and the drivers are just as revolting, always doing burnouts around residential corners. But that's unfair because Ford owners do the same. And we see an equal amount of either of them wrapped around telegraph poles.

Which is why I bought a Toyota, less social stigma to do a "fully sick burnout bro"...

First hits on youtube under "fully sick burnout", all come up as Holdens:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...0burnout&sm=12

Its a shame that a simple car has such a revolting reputation, they're just cars.

The only fault I can see with this thread is that there is a serious reputation issue with modifying a Ford/Holden vehicle for better fuel economy and then dealing with the police.

I'm sure If I bought one and started adding front air dams I would get pulled over by the cops and threatened with a defect 3 times a day.

Now I've had the opportunity to own both, and to be honest I wouldn't buy either one again, mainly because I can get far better fuel economy in a 4 banger than I can in either 6 cyl vehicle.

The Ford Falcon EF Tickford inline 6 engine though, its a sweet ride, once you do up the suspension it feels like a cadillac.

I can easily use a 63 liter tank just going to the shops though once I plant the foot down, In comparison my Toyota is still registering Full after 20.5 km of Hypermilling.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 03-01-2014 at 11:28 PM..
Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lack of leg room in a Commodore... now that is something I have never heard before.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The new 2014 Ford Falcon FGX is claiming a drag co-efficient of 0.29 down from 0.31 of the Falcon FG.

Finally the 2014 model is their first model to match what they achieved back in 1998 with the AU Falcon

Quote:
The only mechanical difference is a slipperier profile brought about by the new shape and an undertray that smooths the airflow under the car, so the CD has shifted from 0.31 to 0.29.

2015 Ford Falcon XR6T review | Wheels

The Following User Says Thank You to galahs For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-29-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread