Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

URL please...

tinkerbill,

This sounds like an interesting web site. Your description left me wanting to know what the URL was.

I'd sure appreciate it.

BTW, bein's as how you're a fellow portlander, I'd be curious what kind of Eco mods, hacks or improvements you've implemented.

Regards,

-AC_Hacker

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Passive Annual Heat Storage & Homemade Heat Pumps

HTML Code:
AC_Hacker & group,
    After looking through my current, then past(archived) bookmarks I cannot put my <p> finger on the exact article/website so I started Google research and in roughly 1/2 hour I <p>had definative info. Seems this technology is called: Passive Annual Heat Storage or PAHS <p>acronym. A lot of the structures employing this technology are themselves either <p>extensively bermed structures or undergound homes. Not to say that improvements can't <p>be gained in above ground structures(like the tech I described in my first posting.) The only<p> things that can be done on a strict budget like you've set for yourself you are already doing <p>i.e.[LIST][*]limiting your GSHP project to one room,<p>[*]drilling due to limited geo-space,<p>[*]DIY heat pumping,<p>[*]Increasing insulation to effected room?<p>
[/LIST]Just Google search on "Passive Annual Heat Storage" and you will come up with a<p> "plethera" of answers. Here's a couple:<p>
http://www.norishouse.com/PAHS/UmbrellaHouse.html<p>
http://www.earthshelters.com/Tour.html<p> 
On the earthshelters website a name & book is mentioned that comes up a lot with this type<p> tech: John Hait. He pretty much seems to be the father of this tech dating back to the early <p>80s! That was also a period when underground homes were the rage!:thumbup:

Last edited by tinkerbill; 05-31-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

tinkerbill,

Thanks for the URL's.

Regarding the book you mentioned, I have a copy of that book. It sets out the theory of PAHS pretty well, but doesn't really give you plans for building your own PAHS hous, but they do have plans for sale.

The Beaverton Library has a copy. I'd say it is well worth reading, even worth giving your scanner a heavy workout.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
NOTE: This blog string started here, on EcoModder. It was suggested to me that it might better belong here:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/projec....html#post2631

...so I made that change. You might want to want to read both blogs, but the real action is happening at the above link.

Best Regards,

-AC_Hacker
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-15-2009 at 02:20 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I thought about doing the same. Before I got married we had a north-facing porch and I sometimes put stuff from the freezer out there when it was really cold. That was a good time for defrosting the freezer (our fridge and freezer were two separate units). Since we only opened the freezer once every few days this wasn't a problem. Using the balcony instead of a refrigerator wouldn't be that easy: first, the balcony was two floors higher than the kitchen. Second, I guessed that I would waste more heat opening and closing the balcony door a few times a day than what the fridge was actually using (it was the most efficient we could get then).
What about having the back side of your fridge/freezer through a wall or sliding glass door that you don't use in the winter? You would never need to "let cold air in" but would gain from having the great outdoors cool your food.

Cheers
Ryan

Reply  Post New Thread