Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
Oh and I answered my own question on when EPS is active. If you turn the key on without starting the engine, the EPS system does not activate, the engine has to actually be started to activate EPS. However, once you start the engine, the EPS will still work if you kill the engine as long as the key stays on the whole time. Interesting. However, for the people who like to EOC, I guess it’s a good thing that EPS still works without the engine running.
That's how mine works too. Interesting.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (03-18-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
That's how mine works too. Interesting.
I wonder why it isn’t active whenever the key is on. It’s possible that Honda did it that way to make the EPS feel like hydraulic as much as possible, so it only works with the engine running. Maybe because they don’t want the battery to drain. But on the other hand it only draws power when the wheel is being turned, and I can’t imagine that someone would sit there with the engine off and the steering wheel cranked all the way to one side long enough to drain the battery LOL
Old 03-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
I wonder why it isn’t active whenever the key is on. It’s possible that Honda did it that way to make the EPS feel like hydraulic as much as possible, so it only works with the engine running. Maybe because they don’t want the battery to drain. But on the other hand it only draws power when the wheel is being turned, and I can’t imagine that someone would sit there with the engine off and the steering wheel cranked all the way to one side long enough to drain the battery LOL
It likely wouldn't be hard to make it active all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
It likely wouldn't be hard to make it active all the time.
Good point. It doesn’t bother me that it only works with the engine on, I’m just curious why it works that way. Also, I’m not sure how I would change the way the system is designed. I guess one option may be to install some type of circuit or device that simulates an RPM signal whenever the key is on, if such a thing even exists. However, one potential problem with that may be that depending on what the module uses the RPM signal for, a fake/incorrect signal might mess with the way the module functions and cause problems. This may or may not have an adverse effect depending on what the EPS module uses the RPM signal for.

However, an easy and safe option if someone wants to retain steering assist once the key is shut off would be to connect the switched power for the EPS module to something powered by the ignition switch’s “ACC” wire like the cigarette lighter power rather than the “RUN” wire. That way the EPS system would remain active once the key is turned to the “ACC” position until the key is shut off completely.

Last edited by EcoCivic; 01-08-2023 at 10:36 PM..
Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have another thought. Now that there is no power steering pump to run anymore, I am thinking about getting an crank pulley from a Civic without hydraulic power steering to reduce rotational mass a little by eliminating the power steering pump pulley. But there are other things that I need to buy for this car first, so it might be a little while

The Following User Says Thank You to EcoCivic For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-20-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread