Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
GoZoner -

Being a former 2nd-Gen CRX owner I do like the CR-Z. The econ/normal/sport mode is such a no-brainer in terms of what all new cars should have. There is so much being controlled by the ECU/PCM that the investment is worth it when you consider that you are getting 3 cars for the price of one.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scooter - '06 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.55 mpg (US)
I had a CR-Z. It was the CVT model and it seemed to accerate faster in Normal than Sport. I may wrong, it was just seat of pants feel. It pulled the ratio change quicker on the transmission. The Sport mode did handle different and I liked the "angry" mode every now and then.

When the cruiser type motorcycle hit me from behind it really soaked up the damage pretty good. The EMT's kept asking if I was ok and I kept sending them to the guy on the motorcycle, he got the worst of it.

I would like to have another one but it will be awhile. I may go for the 6 speed this time, I would be able to pull my mpg up. I hit a wall at about 50 mpg trip avr on the CVT. I also had a hard time maintaining it. By the end of the tank it would be like 44 or so (see angry mode above ).

I have been happy to see the increase in mpg on several fronts from different manufactures but I like the CR-Z still.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Angry mode aka Sport turns the dash red in addition to changing steering response, yada..yada...

just 240 miles on the odo and 40 mpg, I must have been hammering it before I took the pic. (truthfully at 240 miles I wouldnt hammer it) It got better as I put a few miles on it.

Normal mode has a nice blue tint and I forgot to take a pic of economy but it turn the dash green and displays leaves as you progress. Drive "green" long enough and it gives you awards, little trophies on the dash display.

The final editted picture doesnt really belong on an eco forum but I was happy with result. The caption I had with it was "What a sport hybrid dreams of, and 1.5 squirrels screaming at the top of their lungs. "

I saw an 2006 Insight rolling down the road, I think I may start saving for one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angry_mode.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	10554   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	10555   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	10556  

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure .

Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

number 9 - '89 Geo Metro LSi
90 day: 49.25 mpg (US)
Both the CR-Z and the current Insight, if I remember right, don't declutch the engine in electric or coast mode, but just shut the valves and injectors. Cheaper, no doubt, but probably the reason for the unimpressive mileage compared to Prii, doncha think?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Never looked at a Prius so I dont know how they work. Price wise I will come closer to the original Insight right now unless I find a hybrid needing work. I havent seen the new Insight in person yet.

On the Hondas do they close the valves (creates compession?) or open the intake or exhaust valve so air can just move back and forth. Either way your right, all the losses from the engine turning kill a bit of mileage.

I will tell you the first time I saw a CR-Z it was on a truck heading to the dealer. I called on the radio to ask what it was. I really liked the looks. After a little research I bought one. A Prius has never gotten to me like that (I used to think they were ugly, but now they are ok). Great mileage is an admirable goal but if you dont like the car will you keep it? (or even buy it?)

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure .

Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F. View Post
Normal mode has a nice blue tint and I forgot to take a pic of economy but it turn the dash green and displays leaves as you progress. Drive "green" long enough and it gives you awards, little trophies on the dash display.
Thanks for the pictures. They've convinced me not to buy a CR-Z :-(

As for the CR-Z/Insight II closing valves... Well, it seems like another symptom of the "dasBlinkenLights" disease. Some people want the EV-mode like the Prius, no matter that it's really bad for overall efficiency. So they get it, use it, and their mpg drops: big surprise!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah its a dog, neither sporty or fuel efficient. I drove one and managed almost 17 mpg on i95 during rush hour. The suspension is too soft and the rear seats are missing seat belts. I know a guy with an enginer phev kit and best he can get is the mid 60s in regards to mpg and he has the manual shifter. OD is too low of gearing. No EV mode. I have the 2nd gen Insight and have managed 103mpg with a plug in kit and EV mode. Basically tap the gas petal and apply enough pressure to take the play out of it. It does however rotate the engine and everything, so its not that efficient as the power splitter of the prius.

Mugen modded one for kingsmotorsports and it was just supercharged to 200 hp and lots of extra body parts added.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
hmb
EcoModding Lurker

the Z - '13 Honda cr-z base
cr- z air box

i have a 2013 honda cr-z , and i remover the pipe before the air filter box and saw a mileage jump of 2 mpg, the air is still filtered. Not sure if its because of more air or if the air is warmer, hope this helps

hmb
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmb View Post
i have a 2013 honda cr-z , and i remover the pipe before the air filter box and saw a mileage jump of 2 mpg, the air is still filtered. Not sure if its because of more air or if the air is warmer, hope this helps

hmb
It's more helpful if you create a new thread about your results, rather than bump back up old topics posting the same information over and over.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Looks like the CR-Z is on the way out.

Honda Belgium has removed it from its line-up, and is selling existing stock @ reduced prices.

Reply  Post New Thread