Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
I've got a spare VX intake, probably going to try this and clean up the EGR and IACV and maybe get the injectors cleaned as well. Are there ports on the head that also need to be cleaned when you do this?
There is only one Exhaust gas passage that goes through the head, the one that feeds the EGR. That port could be cleaned if you wish, but it should be big enough that flow restriction isn't an issue.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Does the exhaust go evenly from the EGR to each runner on seperate paths, or does it go from egr to runner 4, then to runner 3, then to runner 2, then to runner 1?

I would think they want it to go to each runner simultaneously in an even equal length fassion; however, from the intake manifold appearance it looks like it just travels down one path and goes into each runner from 4, 3, 2, 1.

Wouldn't this give more exhaust to cylinder 4 than 1?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
It does go from 4-3-2-1 but it still gets distributed fairly evenly. Each runner is pulling in EGR gas on the intake stroke only. That means that #1 runner pulls first (the farthest one from the EGR), then #2, then #4, then #3, the firing order of our D15Z1.

But if one of the ports are clogged that go to the runner, then the distribution would not be equal and there would be noticeable hesitation. The same could be said if the entire passage was clogged (not feeding any cylinders) or if the EGR were stuck closed. the ECU adjusts fueling to compensate for the EGR gasses flowing into the cylinders. If the ECU adjusts, but no gases are present, that can make for hesitation/sputtering as well. Same thing if the EGR is stuck open and gasses are present when they shouldn't be.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=TomO;236582]It does go from 4-3-2-1 but it still gets distributed fairly evenly. Each runner is pulling in EGR gas on the intake stroke only. That means that #1 runner pulls first (the farthest one from the EGR), then #2, then #4, then #3, the firing order of our D15Z1.[QUOTE]

Okay, well that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that I have my EGR control solenoid hooked up now with switched power as It should and the EGR system isn't functioning. I hooked a vacuum gauge up to the line between the control valve and the EGR and drove for about 30 miles last night and it never saw vacuum.

I also hooked a vacuum pump to the egr and while driving squeezed the pump to supply vacuum to the EGR and you could definately notice the engine running differently.

Also i tried swapping the p07 A00 ecu out for another one I own and the EGR never operated and never threw a code either.

I also checked the tps and map, and both checked out properly to what the honda manual said they should when multimetering various wires.

Kinda stumped as to why its not throwing an EGR code, and is never operating the EGR system. Still seems to get great gas mileage per my mpguino though its calibrated to my DX engine. Only time will tell true MPG.

Reply  Post New Thread