Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Have to agree with that Stubby. I know that about 20% of people I know would drive stick if they were available in the cars they own now. Guess when it comes time for me to buy a new car again. 10+ years from now I will need to learn how to put a manual transmission in.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
I looked for several months and had to go 400 miles to buy my 2002 Saturn L200. I wanted a loaded stick shift car and looked for several months. The L series Saturn is a nice sized car, will seat 4 in comfort 5 for shorter trips. The only problem is the gearing, the transaxle has 4.45 final drive. That means 2650 rpm at 60 mph, the automatic version of this car runs at 2200 rpm at 60. I have located a transaxle from a Saab 9-3 with a 4.05 final, that is 10% lower.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Personally, I would never buy any car with a manual transmission anymore. Waayyy too many stop lights, stop signs, and other crap here. Big hassle. And if you know what your doing, an automatic can get as good mpg, if not better, on a lot of cars. Some cars actually get worse mpg with a manual transmission.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Manuals are dead, which is one of the reasons I'm hanging on to my 2006 Acura TSX at least until I have children and they are able to drive. That, and it's a fantastic car.

Do they even make manual shifting riding lawnmowers anymore? I sure like dialing in a precise speed while mowing instead of deciding between mowing too slowly, or bouncing all over the place.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Ban automotive platform laws

Auto makers used to offer custom cars, you could have most any engine and most any XMSN in any old car.

In Europe there are full size cars that have up to 5 engine options, some larger cars can have a little 1 liter engine as an option.

I strongly disagree with how platform laws are written, for example a C-max energy and Fusion Energy are considered the same platform
But a Cruze MT and a Cruze auto aren't.

No reason for these laws to exist, remove them and the cost for an auto maker to offer drivetrain options goes almost to zero like it is in Europe

Ah well
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
ecocruze (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH@UN View Post
Personally, I would never buy any car with a manual transmission anymore. Waayyy too many stop lights, stop signs, and other crap here. Big hassle. And if you know what your doing, an automatic can get as good mpg, if not better, on a lot of cars. Some cars actually get worse mpg with a manual transmission.
The worse mpg is coming from them designing them to get worse. It's in the gear ratios. Try to tell me an automatic is more efficient when a computer is in charge is a lie. Idc if you have a 9 speed auto or whatever they are coming out with now vs a 6 speed manual or even a 5 speed doesn't matter to me. I will get better milage than the automatic​ as long as the final drive is the same. If a car is marketed as a manual having lower milage highway than a automatic they have different final drive.
Just woke up so hope that doesn't sound mentally challenged
The Following User Says Thank You to ecocruze For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Ban automotive platform laws

Auto makers used to offer custom cars, you could have most any engine and most any XMSN in any old car.

In Europe there are full size cars that have up to 5 engine options, some larger cars can have a little 1 liter engine as an option.

I strongly disagree with how platform laws are written, for example a C-max energy and Fusion Energy are considered the same platform
But a Cruze MT and a Cruze auto aren't.

No reason for these laws to exist, remove them and the cost for an auto maker to offer drivetrain options goes almost to zero like it is in Europe

Ah well
So that's more or less the answer to my question. Idiots and their ass backwards laws. Guess Trump will have to put that on his list now or I'll have to Import my next car from Europe.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecocruze For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
So that's more or less the answer to my question. Idiots and their ass backwards laws. Guess Trump will have to put that on his list now or I'll have to Import my next car from Europe.
I would much rather have Trump bam platform laws in terms of drivetrain and secondary features and remove grey market laws over what he is doing.

These same laws bar Toyo from offering a Prime with a solar panel here.

Toyo states the panel would shatter thus wouldn't pass tests but it's EXTERNAL to occupants and irrelevant (sort of like saying if your mirror shatters in a crash you wouldn't pass)

The key word was tests, the solar panel makes the Prime solar a different platform thus Toyo has to pay $$$$ to test, that is the real reason, passing is irrelevant when it's millions to test a low volume option
Old 06-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I would much rather have Trump bam platform laws in terms of drivetrain and secondary features and remove grey market laws over what he is doing.

These same laws bar Toyo from offering a Prime with a solar panel here.

Toyo states the panel would shatter thus wouldn't pass tests but it's EXTERNAL to occupants and irrelevant (sort of like saying if your mirror shatters in a crash you wouldn't pass)

The key word was tests, the solar panel makes the Prime solar a different platform thus Toyo has to pay $$$$ to test, that is the real reason, passing is irrelevant when it's millions to test a low volume option
That right there is Idiocracy. While people sit and complain about cars getting lousy economy or not improving fast enough. Too expensive for hybrids. The laws here are putting a chokehold on new technologies that will be low volume to start. It's not like everyone looking to help the environment or the more typical save money on gas is going to be able to afford the extra price for testing the different platforms. Most of the people who can afford a 35k+$ car don't car about mpg. They drive SUVs.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
suddenly i feel good about living in Europe... For now.

though the phasing out of diesel in passenger cars is starting, according to EU.

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Reply  Post New Thread