Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Question Does anyone have a 5x10 trailer? (or similar?) I have a question!

Im an entrepreneur and I have a couple companies going on. I thought about a new one but I have no experience with these small trailers (ones that you pull with your car or truck).

How bad do they shake when they are being pulled? I.E. Are their suspensions soft enough to not shake them too bad?

My idea is basically to put a generator and oven in the trailer and bake cookies and pizzas while driving. I know i can't go 1000mph, but could I drive carefully and have the food inside of the oven not go everywhere while driving?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Probably not.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
If these small trailers are anything like ours, they're far too bouncy for that.
It'd need an air or hydraulic suspension to smooth out the ride a bit.

Can you transport people in a moving trailer ?
That's not allowed over here.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
If these small trailers are anything like ours, they're far too bouncy for that.
It'd need an air or hydraulic suspension to smooth out the ride a bit.

Can you transport people in a moving trailer ?
That's not allowed over here.
Well there wouldn't be people WHILE driving, just when stopped to put stuff to bake, drive to destination, and then take them out and box them.

The only thing in there is going to be the freezer (which is a small 5cf one) and things in there don't matter if they shake. And then the oven which is a small half size oven that will be "wall mounted". Maybe i need to come up with a suspension system for the wall mount for the oven of sorts to reduce the bouncing (kind of like a steady cam mount?)
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
Maybe i need to come up with a suspension system for the wall mount for the oven of sorts to reduce the bouncing (kind of like a steady cam mount?)
Yes. And it might help to bake the cookies in the bottom of a cupcake pan.

Don't forget, you will also have acceleration, braking, and cornering forces on the food.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Not legal to ride in a trailer in Texas. And "food trucks" (as a generic term) have their own problems as well (legal requirements; state & city code). While many RV'ers leave the propane tanks "open" while traveling, it is a problem at harbors, bridges, tunnels, rail crossings and the rest, for legality and safety. This is "open", but not with running appliances.

With running appliances (refrigerators, normally), one has a very low Btu draw, even an oven is not so high, but flame-out is better controlled by the manner of construction of, say, the water heater and refrigerator (I'd rather have a 3-way: LP/12V/120V). I would not at all be comfortable with an oven running while going down the road. Flame control is crude, to say the least.

I'm not aware of anyone cooking while driving. While there are those who use the latest version of a "haybox" that continues to cook while underway after first prepping/cooking, there is no open flame in use while doing so. Nissan Thermal Cookers are a more modern version, though I doubt one could bake (so prove me wrong).

As to suspension improvements, a torsion axle is much superior to a conventional leaf sprung suspension for ride control. CENTRAMATIC balancers on the wheel/tire combo are also recommended. Contact DEXTER AXLE once you have separate axle and tongue weights from a certified scale (CAT Scale, plenty along IH-20) to ask their recommendations.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
As to suspension improvements, a torsion axle is much superior to a conventional leaf sprung suspension for ride control. CENTRAMATIC balancers on the wheel/tire combo are also recommended. Contact DEXTER AXLE once you have separate axle and tongue weights from a certified scale (CAT Scale, plenty along IH-20) to ask their recommendations.

AH! This is all great information! Thanks!

As for the oven, it is actually a convection oven so there are no open flames anywhere.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The more weight you can put on it; the better she'll ride!

If you intentionally run the trailer tire's psi low, there is a cheap "cushion"!

Should I assume for the most part, that you will just be "trollin" like ice cream trucks in neighborhoods ?
If your streets are fairly smooth, and you are careful, you might pull this off.

It's only $225. or so to get a brand new one, have the fun of putting it together. Put test weight on, mount a remote camera to check the shaking.

If it doesn't work out, I think you could still sell it for $260.ish, for your labor in assembly, if you're honest and explain why it maybe didn't work out!

My greatest fear for you is that you'll be smelling so good (cookies) that gangs will jump on your trailer while rolling, and help themselves.

Advice: Get a trailer w 12 inch tire/wheels. (not so many revolutions, more attractive for resale also.)

Reply  Post New Thread