Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Pushing the limits often leads to innovation. Motorsports is one of many testbeds for new technologies.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Examples?
Look how many "Carbon Fiber Look" car accessories you can buy now!! That would never have happened without motorsports influence!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Yes motorsports are harmful to the Environment, but they are FUN.
As one of the other posters here mentioned, electric cars will slowly begin to replace gasoline powered cars, but it will no doubt take decades - if not several decades to emerge.

I half chuckled and shook my head at the same time when I saw mention of certain racing organizations using ethanol to " reduce pollution " .

As you can see here, it is certainly possible to even drag race and be clean about it ( especially if the electricity comes from sources like wind farms

The thing I don't seem to understand about motorsports are ones that ....hmmm....."lower income people" enjoy such as indoor monster truck racing.
Yepp...let's take an enclosed stadium and race around in small circles jumping over already crushed cars. The gasoline fumes and noise ? The kids love it !
Tractor pulls : Yepp ....let's take this big weight and waste all this fuel to move it a few feet. and do it all over again.
NASCAR : Yepp ...let's take these cars which we call " stock" cars and race in a big circle ...hundreds of times. No variations, no turns .nuthin. And we gotta put a sticker on the front a these cars to tell everyone what kind a car it is we be drivin' cause there ain't nuthin stock at all about one a these . Not the body , not the wheels, not a thing. Not even that emblem on the front a the car is real. It's a sticker !
If we put a Chevy next to a Toyota and not have the stickers, no one would be able to tell what make the "stock" car is because each has to look alike.
At least in the early days , NASCAR had cars that looked like what they were supposed to be.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Look how many "Carbon Fiber Look" car accessories you can buy now!! That would never have happened without motorsports influence!
Ha Ha, right!

Well, that's the first one. Any others?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
The thing I don't seem to understand about motorsports are ones that ....hmmm....."lower income people" enjoy such as indoor monster truck racing.
Yepp...let's take an enclosed stadium and race around in small circles jumping over already crushed cars. The gasoline fumes and noise ? The kids love it !
Tractor pulls : Yepp ....let's take this big weight and waste all this fuel to move it a few feet. and do it all over again.
NASCAR : Yepp ...let's take these cars which we call " stock" cars and race in a big circle ...hundreds of times. No variations, no turns .nuthin. And we gotta put a sticker on the front a these cars to tell everyone what kind a car it is we be drivin' cause there ain't nuthin stock at all about one a these . Not the body , not the wheels, not a thing. Not even that emblem on the front a the car is real. It's a sticker !
If we put a Chevy next to a Toyota and not have the stickers, no one would be able to tell what make the "stock" car is because each has to look alike.
At least in the early days , NASCAR had cars that looked like what they were supposed to be.
In the US of A, lower-income people are attracted to motorsport because it's escapist. They spend loads of time hard at work, so why not glorify the commute?

The trends in sports such as NASCAR are for the better. By making "stock cars" just rolling chassis of the cars they were doesn't exactly encourage copycats like it used to.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

That escapism into sports cuts across all economic strata. Here in MN the legislature hasn't accomplished a GD thing in 15 years because pro sports stadia debating consumes all their time and energy.

You can look at any number of online media- from newspapers for example- and if there's a "most popular" or "most commented on" or "most read" section, 9 out of 10 of the entries will be about sports.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
That escapism into sports cuts across all economic strata. Here in MN the legislature hasn't accomplished a GD thing in 15 years because pro sports stadia debating consumes all their time and energy.
Haha. MN sports are mind-boggling (read: ) to me. So many franchises come and go from the state. I can never tell if you guys are sports fans or not. The Twins have been brought to the brink of relocation, Lakers and North Stars relocated, and yet there is always a way to fill the market with a replacement franchise.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I actually is a low inkum person and all. I was jest makin fun a my own kind.
My relatives enjoy NASCAR and monster trucks and I just never could see the attraction.

I don't see my relatives changing to anything clean and green unless it brings then green ( $ )
They are set in their ways and extremely stubborn.

They would be the type to put a hemi V8 in a Prius, because doing so would be polar opposite of what is considered responsible.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
They would be the type to put a hemi V8 in a Prius, because doing so would be polar opposite of what is considered responsible.
Not exactly. A hemi V8-swapped Prius (assuming there were no batteries from the get-go) would probably need to take 80,000 miles of driving before the equivalent lead-acid hybrid would actually overtake the environmental friendliness.

The V8 would be more friendly until it hit quite a bit of mileage. Then it would offset the emissions produced by battery manufacture, and the hybrid would take the lead.

Also, purchasing something that's "environmentally responsible" is worse than staying with the stuff you already have. I hate it when people have 4-odd reusable water bottles or choose "organic" products over efficiently mass-produced ones. God damn it, people shouldn't let ads do their research for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecofreak For This Useful Post:
niky (03-30-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofreak View Post
Haha. MN sports are mind-boggling (read: ) to me. So many franchises come and go from the state. I can never tell if you guys are sports fans or not. The Twins have been brought to the brink of relocation, Lakers and North Stars relocated, and yet there is always a way to fill the market with a replacement franchise.
I used to be fairly neutral about it but after all the B.S. I'm firmly in the camp of "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
motorsports