Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: How do you feel about hybrid SUVs?
Position #1 12 22.22%
Position #2 17 31.48%
Somewhere in between, possibly a wash 21 38.89%
Undecided 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
SUVs play into American consumer anxieties. It's unfortunate that so many people seem to share these anxieties. I wish there was something we could do to alleviate the subconscious fears that people have (my car isn't big enough... I'll get killed on the highway in a small car... I won't be able to carry enough stuff...) so that they aren't compelled to purchase land yachts.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #42 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
SUVs play into American consumer anxieties. It's unfortunate that so many people seem to share these anxieties. I wish there was something we could do to alleviate the subconscious fears that people have (my car isn't big enough... I'll get killed on the highway in a small car... I won't be able to carry enough stuff...) so that they aren't compelled to purchase land yachts.
Eventually a review to the tax structure in order to not benefit trucks so disproportionately would be the most effective way to lead many soccer-moms back to minivans and the good old station-wagons.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #43 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Eventually a review to the tax structure in order to not benefit trucks so disproportionately would be the most effective way to lead many soccer-moms back to minivans and the good old station-wagons.
The original Pinto, 2-door, station wagon!

Last edited by gone-ot; 03-15-2017 at 04:44 PM..
Old 03-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
If things get expensive and rare enough you can change their mind
Old 03-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
If things get expensive and rare enough you can change their mind
Presumably, the folks who buy regular non-hybrid SUVs and full-size trucks would turn to the hybrids, eventually debadge them in fear of being perceived as a stereotypical hybrid-driving leftie, and call it a day. Only a deep review to the tax structure might lead to an end of the SUV craze in favor of something more efficient such as the traditional minivans.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Mew audi q7 claims to get 31 mpg.
2.0l engine, not a hybrid.
The new version does look more like a slightly elevated station wagon.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CUV are slightly elevated station wagon. It is why they are selling so well. Americans have always wanted station wagons, for good reason. They are amazingly practical vehicles. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, our marketing masters proclaimed station wagons and minivans "uncool". And the lemming masses all listened obidiently and lined up for SUVs so as not to be "uncool".

I still hear people go on about how they really should get a minivan, but go on about how they don't want to be seen in one. I want to take a bat to these people's heads.

I have news for you morons. Most people don't give a damn what you drive. Those that do, aren't worth impressing. I do see a purpose for a traditional SUV. If you regularly tow heavy loads along with 4 people and a german shepard, they make sense. Otherwise, they don't.

I was hoping for a resurgence of wagons. Looks like the CUV is that resurgence. It more or less is a station wagon.....in heels.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Americans have always wanted station wagons, for good reason. They are amazingly practical vehicles.
A station wagon usually makes more sense than the equivalent sedan. It's really quite hard to understand why compact station wagons were nearly extinct instead of compact sedans.

Quote:
Most people don't give a damn what you drive. Those that do, aren't worth impressing.
Sometimes I really can't figure out who's more worthless, if it's the one trying to show off or the ones they try to impress.

Quote:
I do see a purpose for a traditional SUV. If you regularly tow heavy loads along with 4 people and a german shepard, they make sense. Otherwise, they don't.
I got to agree with you at this point, but a van still makes more sense than a traditional SUV fitted with a similar driveline.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I apologize for not reading pages 2-4.

SUVs are a creation of Federal regulation. And prevailed because Americans do as they're told.

I didn't find a radio button for "In favor because the LaCross/Impala 20hp water-cooled altermotors in the junkyards could make a bolt-on mild hybrid conversion for your VW Beetle."

But that would probably only get one vote.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Hadn't it been for the Chicken Tax and other regulations, I bet the VW T3 and those Jap forward-control vans would have actually been more popular than some compact SUVs in the '90s. Actually, even an older Kombi can outperform many modern SUVs in any terrain harsher than a shopping mall parking lot.

Reply  Post New Thread