Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Generally I would agree with you Thymeclock. I wouldn't recommend it or thought it necessary, but it works for this application. (maybe only this one) I drive a 3500 Savanna van for work that calls for 80psi rear and 65psi front. I simply don't have enough weight in this van to require these pressures and reducing the pressure has not hurt the mileage. Keep in mind that mileage is a non issue for me with this van and it's always bad anyway. The point that I was trying to make is that the ideal tire pressure for max. tire wear and longevity is not ALWAYS going to be max. sidewall pressure like many are saying. It may not be the pressure that gives the best FE either. Even tire wear is going to happen when the pressure is matched to the load on the tire so that all the tread has even contact with the ground. This may not give the best FE on a large tire. I have always run my tires a little over recommend psi on my cars (probably always will) and generally with good results. But, I think it's wrong to say that it will always make the tires last longer.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
I have my tires at 54 PSI front and 52 rear. They're Yokohamas rated for 51 max cold.

EDIT: Those pressures are when warm. They're 51 cold on all 4.

Last edited by AeroModder; 06-06-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I run them all at 50 right now... Once I get lighter rims and put my tires on them, and get heavy duty valve stems, 60-65 sounds better.

Keep in mind, I'm running LRC LT tires on my truck.

On the wife's Saturn, I run the tires at ~40PSI. They're "rated" for 35, I think.

I honestly believe the higher inflation pressure is the only reason I haven't had to change the front two, yet. They've still got about 2/32 on them, and the tire size isn't easy to come by used (in decent condition). I'm thinking about dropping her tire size to 185/65R15 instead of the 195/65s she has now, since those are easier to come by.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
I have a '97 villager, and I suspect the tires wearing out in the middle has more to do with a 4000 lbs FWD vehicle than inflation pressure.

Will inflating tires to max sidewall increase longeviety? Depends on how you drive. And i beg to differ, just because you aren't personally paying the gas bill doesn't make the gas mileage any less important. All the reading and experience I'm seeing (my "fleet" clocks around 20K miles a year) says inflating to sidewall has no ill effects when using radial tires of good quality.

Also keep in mind that a RWD vehicle will naturally wear the rear tires in the center regardless of inflation pressure. why that is I'm not sure, just an observation and read about it in gov't manuals concerning tire inflation.

Everything I've read says underinflation is bad news, while "over"inflation is a mixed bag without the bad news. So tell me, which tire company do you work for? Something sounds fishy to me......
First off, I don't work for a tire company and I assure you I have nothing to gain by posting this. I'm a forklift tech running a service van. ( about 20k a year also and probably around 7000 lb) I'm running Nokian Vattiva E rates on my work van which are a very good tire and keep in mind I am still running 60-70psi in them. As for the mileage comment, my customers pay by the hour for my travel, not the mile and I'm not going to hypermile on their $ to save the company a little on gas. Believe me or don't, but it's my personal experience and it's the truth.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Ford
I went and checked my tires this morning. 51 PSI all around (sidewall max) and noticed some bubbles on 3 of them. Strangely, there's some going inward. The bubbles are small, but I'm still wondering if I should worry about them or not.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
what is the sidewall rating on your tires? Sounds like the steel bands may be slipping. I've had that happen to me before, and the extreme end result is a weak spot in the sidewall that'll cause some shimmy in the short run and a blow out in the long run.

When you say bubbles, is that round bubbles, or enlongated ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Ditto on "sounds like belt damage"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroModder View Post
I went and checked my tires this morning. 51 PSI all around (sidewall max) and noticed some bubbles on 3 of them. Strangely, there's some going inward. The bubbles are small, but I'm still wondering if I should worry about them or not.
Irregularities in the sidewall surely means the internal structure has failed for some reason.

Hit and really bad potholes lately or any panic stops where you had locked up the tires?

I did that one nite at about 2am years ago in Rt 41 South in SC. Thought I was coming upto a fork I had to bear left on at about 70 mph, turns out it was a T-Bone and I locked all 4 wheels like the movies, stopped about 3 ft short of the stop sign and smoke from the tires engulfed the car. Made me chuckle at the time.
Over the next 2-3 months 3 of those tires failed. Belt separation.

One thing I do whenever I stop after driving long hwy distances is a run me hand of the tread surface to feel for high spots or hot spots. Gives great feedback on inflation and/or alignment. The warmest tires are always the ones with a slow leak or impending cord failure. But also the ones on the Sunny side of the car are hotter then the shady side!

Pete
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Ford
I do my best to avoid potholes, but I regularly drive over railroad crossings. No panic stops.

They're the elongated bubbles. Also, by sidewall rating, do you mean load rating? If so, they're 91.

I should have got the road hazard warranty when I ordered them, even if it could be a defect in the tires.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
what brand/model are they?

Quote:
I do my best to avoid potholes, but I regularly drive over railroad crossings. No panic stops.

They're the elongated bubbles. Also, by sidewall rating, do you mean load rating? If so, they're 91.

I should have got the road hazard warranty when I ordered them, even if it could be a defect in the tires.
If it looks like belt separation you have a decent chance at "defect" pro-rated replacement.

I mentioned the brake lockup skid because up until I did that my tires were OK.

Back when I had my 91' Toyota 1/2 Ton PU I had Michelin LT's. Expensive but worth it.
One time a local tire dealer talked me into some passenger tires on it as it was "just a toyota pu". About 1 week into the new tires I cranked it into a right turn and almost went off the road. Dealer got reamed by corporate and I got full towards the LT's.

Pete
Old 06-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
When did you install the tires on the car?

How much mileage is on them since they were installed?

Reply  Post New Thread