Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
"Procedural errors" sure...
The "error" was "getting caught"!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The "error" was "getting caught"!
Exactly. How can the executives be so incompetent to get caught doing this? Everybody else isn't getting caught, heads must roll.

Anyway the owners are getting $88/year debit cards to make up the difference plus backpay for the miles already driven so no harm done.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
... so no harm done.
Yeah, I guess you could say that.. unless you have a conscious and don't really appreciate being lied to so that someone can make a buck.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hyundai and Kia revised MPG estimates! They admit!

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/
https://kiampginfo.com/

They'll apparently give you a debit card to reimburse you for the MPG discrepancy for life!

They say on average the MPG difference is about 3% so it's not revised much.
But it's still kind of epic to see them finally admit it. My Mother's '12 Elantra doesn't get anywhere near 40MPG on the highway, granted she is going probably 70MPH most of the time. Now the car's rated for 38MPG highway.

How it works;

"Hyundai has established a comprehensive reimbursement program to help both current and former owners with the unexpected additional fuel costs resulting from the incorrect MPG listings.

If your vehicle qualifies, our upcoming website tool will provide an estimate of your reimbursement amount, which will be based on the model you own, your odometer reading, and the average gas price in your area. In addition, as an acknowledgement of the inconvenience this may cause, we will add an extra 15% to your reimbursement amount. Your actual reimbursement amount may vary. The website tool will be available on November 3, 2012.

Finally, at your convenience, visit your dealer who will verify your current odometer reading and we will arrange for a debit card to be sent to you.

This reimbursement program will continue for current owners for as long as you own your vehicle.
All of us at Hyundai value our owners, first and foremost. We work hard to
be deserving of your trust, and appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you."
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoPlotting

Sliver - '12 Hyundai Elantra limited
Team Hyundai
90 day: 35.1 mpg (US)

t-ruck - '06 chevy Colorado Lt
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)

Bob - '09 Harley Sportster Nightster
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Pearl - '14 Toyota Prius C 3
90 day: 48.1 mpg (US)
It does suck being lied to, but the reality is that we still would have bought this car over the other options out there because of cost and options available for that cost and the styling of the car. My girlfreind was very specific about the car not being ugly LOL. Now we get paid and get to keep a car that still returns decent MPG.

My dissapointment in the mpg return from the elantra was what lead me to find ecomodder.com and caused me to change my driving habits, which probably saved me more gas and money than just swapping from a gas guzzler to the elantra.

Also Mech was right about the EPA needing to not use E0 in ther testing anymore because it does make a difference. The elantra is sensitive to the type of gas you use. With E0 it performs much better than with E10. For instance E0 ~ 38 mpg at 70 and E10 ~ 35mpg at 70. Its not that accurate not a real A-B-A test just an observation from the scanguage the few times we got E0 when we were in San Antonio.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I think some of the procedural error at least for the Veloster is that they have done several revisions on the engine tune since it was released that changed some on the engine mapping and fuel maps. They did this due to drive ability issues that they were having (manual trans) and soot on the back of the car due to the injection process they use (I believe that it is direct injection).

Last I checked the Veloster still had the soot issue and from what I could tell it was actually due to late injection time or the need to advance ignition timing to solve that issue. (I stopped following that car when I was banned for offering the ultra-gauge as an alternative to a $50 cable and an android app. I got a golf instead and it has a much better rear window view.)

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I have this quiet little road called Route 5 which is east to west just north of the James River. The machine shop that is working with me on my patent and the vehicle is right at 49 miles from my house. The last time I carried some parts there is the wifes Sorento I could barely manage 32 MPG at 55 MPH with no traffic to speak of, and not a single running accessory, not even the radio.

In the Fiesta I can average close to 50 MPG. In my 09 Altima low 40s was fairly easy.
Manufacturers are responsible for their ratings claims. I thought the EPA did the testing but apparently that has changed.

The Altima and the Sorento had the same EPA highway rating, while the Fiesta is 38 instead of 32.

Don't get me wrong, the Sorento is a very nice vehicle, the paint is as good as a new Mercedes. The transmission shifts much smoother than my Fiesta, and we have had not a single problem in a year and over 12 k miles.

We still have the window sticker that says 32 MPG, but it now is 30 MPG, and it should be 28-29. While that may not seem to be a big deal to some, when my wife pays $25k cash for a car, it just really POes me to know they used fabricated mileage claims as a part of their sales pitch, and we may not have bought the car if we had not been led to believe it was 5 MPG better than the Rogue on the highway, which it is not.

regards
Mech
Old 11-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #48 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...here's how the "new" MPG numbers apparently 'shake out':

EPA Investigation Prompts Carmaker to Correct Inflated Mileage Claims| Fuel Economy | US EPA
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #49 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I went to the website, and plugged in our figures for SWMBO's 2012 Elantra. We've driven it ~7800 miles, and our estimated rebate is $35. That doesn't sound like much, since it barely buys us 10 gal. of gas. But at a combined city/highway 32 (new) or 33 (old) mpg, we only used ~240 gal to drive that 7800 miles over the past year. 3% of 240 gal = 7.2 gal.

The website had an online form to submit to start the rebate process. It instructed me to visit a Hyundai dealership to have them verify my mileage, which I did today. The Service Dept followed a Recall Notification procedure to submit my data.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 11-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Seems like something not worth going to the dealership for unless you're going for something else at the same time.

I wish Hyundai would release data on the exact errors in conversion. Seeing as how the less aerodynamic cars with smaller engines (Soul, Veloster) lost out more, I'm betting most of the fudge was in aero versus coastdown...

Reply  Post New Thread