Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2023, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I had a dome idea.

....again. Happens every once in a while.

I had just added two antennae to the top to call out the edge vertex orientation, when I lost control of the software. ....again. So I grabbed a screenshot, and added a high-pass filter in GIMP to bump the contrast. No HDRI lighting and verdant lanscaping yet.

But I can use this to point out some advantages of the edge vertex orientation, which is free to everyone, but sadly un-used.

One advantage is bilateral symmetry. This means there is a front and back and two sides. This answers the 'how do you put it on a square lot' question.

Every frequency has an equator. With vertex zenith only even frequencies offer a natural equator. However, if you go beyond a hemisphere, it presses inward on any stem wall (or multi-stories) so no compression ring is required.

Also, consider the eight triangles below either of the antennae. Those could be projected into a gable end. The result would be an inflato-A-frame.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-18-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2023, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Whilst I'm at it....

I reopened an old .OBJ and displayed it to show the construction:

The five projected diamonds are 2/5ths of the pentagons. If the connection is engieenred at the junction, these five pillars are all that's required. The five sides could all be left open.

Altenatively. The diamond prisms could be shrunk to a point at the outer edge.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Currently 425 views and no comments. It's hard for me to care, under the circumstance. Anyway....

The edge vertex again, this time in 2v.

Note the hexagonal zenith. Two opportunities for ingess/egress. The half hex is similar to the typical extensions on a Pease/Catherdralite/Oregon design.

The gabled extension has a higher opening, possibly beneficial for smaller sizes. Sheds weather better.

I'm showing the primitives, because they're indeterminate. Once dressed with doors, windows and weathervanes it collapses the state vector. I should import these into Stable Diffusion and ask for Viturvian greebling.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh give me a dome....where the architecture nerds roam...
Seriously, I love it...in fact, I love all houses outside the box. I just bought two acres in Washington to build my off-grid hobbit house on.
I wonder if you could base a small camper on this? I'm getting ready to head back out to WA and will be keeping my 20' camper at my property and living in my Prius wherever I get assigned.
I could also see interconnecting these to form a modular home for an intentional community
Old 04-18-2023, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Moving from deSantis' Florida to Inslee's Washington? I won't even ask.

Quote:
I wonder if you could base a small camper on in this?
A friend of mine built a camper in the 1970s that was egg-shaped with a flat bottoom, rear and cab-over on a 1954 Ford flatbed. Hemispherical plexiglass bubble in the roof he could stick his head in for a 360° view.

When you round off a camper or trailer, it gets small inside. If you have two acres you might built what Bucky Fuller called a sky-break bubble, basically a shed to park the camper in.

3.bp.blogspot.com/-XK5M4aQxOFg/UHvlGsAYnoI/AAAAAAAAJqQ/921waPSEEnk/s1600/sky.jpg

Here's the garage my parents built. A 12ft octagon stretched 6ft one way and 10ft the other. The flat rectangle roof was raised into a hip.

Nine foot tall garage door for their high-top camper.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-18-2023 at 09:10 PM..
Cd (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Currently 425 views and no comments. It's hard for me to care, under the circumstance. Anyway....

The edge vertex again, this time in 2v.

Note the hexagonal zenith. Two opportunities for ingess/egress. The half hex is similar to the typical extensions on a Pease/Catherdralite/Oregon design.

The gabled extension has a higher opening, possibly beneficial for smaller sizes. Sheds weather better.

I'm showing the primitives, because they're indeterminate. Once dressed with doors, windows and weathervanes it collapses the state vector. I should import these into Stable Diffusion and ask for Viturvian greebling.
Just now seeing this.
You are really good at modeling.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You don't see UV mapping, texturing, lighting and compositing.

Blender can dress low poly shapes like these.

So far it's the same views I was getting in Wings 3D. Back then, I had to generate the geodesic shapes in another program. Blender has a Geodesic plug-in.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/pFKaj.jpg

Dome 4.2 had duals, frequency and maybe orientation, but parameters like Squish, Square X/Y, Square Z and Superformula are unknowns; probably to include superelliptic shapes.

edit:
To answr my own question:
Quote:
https://docs.blender.org › manual › en › latest › addons › add_mesh › geodesic_domes.html
Geodesic Domes — Blender Manual
Superformula Menu The superformula settings add a variety of settings such as pinching, twisting, inflate and more complex edit types. Reference Category: Add Mesh Description: Create Geodesic object types. Location: 3D Viewport ‣ Add ‣ Mesh File: add_mesh_geodesic_domes folder Author: Andy Housten Maintainer: To Do License: GPL Support Level:

Last edited by freebeard; 04-18-2023 at 10:26 PM..
Old 04-19-2023, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
What about grain silos as the building blocks for a house? Maybe 2 of them, with differing diameters so you could have an interior and exterior wall, with insulation between.

I think grain silos go up in a day with 2 workers.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-19-2023, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's what Fuller did with his Dymaxion Deployment Unit. He paired a smaller conical roof with a larger cylindrical wall and added compound curve panels to make a monocoque.

Quote:
Dymaxion deployment unit
A Dymaxion deployment unit or Dymaxion House, is a structure designed in 1940 by Buckminster Fuller consisting of a 20-foot circular hut constructed of corrugated steel looking much like a yurt or the top of a metal silo. The interior was insulated and finished with wallboard, portholes and a door. The dome-like ceiling has a hole in the top and a cap for ventilation.
More at Wikipedia

redpoint5 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
From what I undestand, such a structure is extremely strong.
I have had thoughts of a buried Quanset hut, but this design looks easier to build.
What material would you use within each triangle ?
Also, how are square windows used ?
I'm seriously interested.

Reply  Post New Thread