Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lex Luthor - '10 Lexus HS250h
90 day: 70.18 mpg (US)
Gph 0.03

Hey, newbie here. I just installed my SG2 today and love it (well, it's only been an hour, but I still love it). It's installed in my HS250h, which I just picked up on Tuesday, love that too. I noticed my GPH is 0.03 when the engine is completely off. I know it should be 0.00. Does anyone know if and how this can be calibrated?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Welcome to EM!

Remind me -- what make is an HS250h?

This is probably a glitch either in the car's OBD II output, or in the the SG II -- my Scion xA gets 0.02gph when EOC, but when I downshift and use the negine to brake, I get "infinite" FE. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a fix. It is a tiny amount of fuel, and it should not affect the overall accuracy. You will need to calibrate the tank size at each fillup, and that will get it very close.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 06-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks! The HS is Lexus's new hybrid. Yeah, its not that big a deal, except I don't get the cool 9999mpg reading because of it. I get mpg readings in the 800s and 900s instead. Too bad there's no fix for it. Is anyone else also experiencing this?

I thought I only had to calibrate the tank size after the first 2 fillups?

I already learned something new about the car thanks to my SG. When I shift into B (engine braking mode), it restarts my ICE and therefore drops my mpg. I never knew that. I guess I'll only use B when the ICE is running from now on.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
When I shift into B (engine braking mode), it restarts my ICE and therefore drops my mpg. I never knew that. I guess I'll only use B when the ICE is running from now on.
It will spin the ICE, but it will leave the fuel injectors off. It's just another way for you to add friction to slow the car down for hill descents.

From a fuel economy perspective, it's equivalent to the friction brakes. That is to say, it uses no gas, but it wastes lots of momentum. You should start slowing down earlier, using the regenerative brakes, or better yet, no brakes at all (just coast to a stop).

HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
hyperme (06-06-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
It will spin the ICE, but it will leave the fuel injectors off. It's just another way for you to add friction to slow the car down for hill descents.

I thought the same thing, but now I'm not sure about this. When I leave the tranny in D and coast, my rpm and gph are both 0. When I coast in B mode, my rpm shoots up and my gph now shows an amount, so it appears I'm burning fuel. I wish/hope you are correct, but unless my SG is lying.........

From a fuel economy perspective, it's equivalent to the friction brakes. That is to say, it uses no gas, but it wastes lots of momentum. You should start slowing down earlier, using the regenerative brakes, or better yet, no brakes at all (just coast to a stop).
HTH

I DWB as often as possible but as you know, sometimes quick stops are unavoidable, and in those cases I shift to B to take advantage of a quick battery charge.

Last edited by hyperme; 06-05-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Old 06-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
hyperme,

On the Scangauge -
Did you set the "Engine" type to "hybrid"?? The other options are gasoline and diesel. From your description I think you probably did set it to hybrid but I thought I'd mention it.

That setting is good for non hybrid cars too. Lets the SG register eoc miles as long as the computer is still on.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
hyperme,

On the Scangauge -
Did you set the "Engine" type to "hybrid"?? The other options are gasoline and diesel. From your description I think you probably did set it to hybrid but I thought I'd mention it.

That setting is good for non hybrid cars too. Lets the SG register eoc miles as long as the computer is still on.
Yes, I did set it to Hybrid but thanks for pointing that out. I believe my SG would be constantly shutting down if I didn't, so that's a key feature for us hybrid owners.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post

HTH
HTH,
Based on what you said, I tested it again, and you were right. In B mode my RPMs shoot up by my GPH doesn't, so again, you're correct in that the injectors must be off. I have no idea what I was looking at before. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
I thought the same thing, but now I'm not sure about this. When I leave the tranny in D and coast, my rpm and gph are both 0. When I coast in B mode, my rpm shoots up and my gph now shows an amount, so it appears I'm burning fuel. I wish/hope you are correct, but unless my SG is lying.........

I DWB as often as possible but as you know, sometimes quick stops are unavoidable, and in those cases I shift to B to take advantage of a quick battery charge.
The RPM's will rise. When coasting in a hybrid, the engine is physically stopped, even if the car isn't. In B mode, the engine is spinning, and in all fuel injected cars that I've seen, the tach continues to register even with the fuel off.

Can't help on the fuel consumption reading where there should be none, though.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you've got that sorted.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks AA. I sent an email to Linear Logic. Hopefully they'll have an answer, one way or another.

Reply  Post New Thread