Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '76 Chevy El Camino Classic
90 day: 25.89 mpg (US)

Sabrina - '91 Mercedes Benz 190 E
90 day: 37.07 mpg (US)

Angel - '88 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Last 3: 23.01 mpg (US)

Quicksilver - '04 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Cabrio
That MPG may be impressive on a PT but that's really the only 4 cylinder car i think it would be on. I agree with the statement earlier a scangauge would most likely be a huuuge help to your fuel economy seeing as you can watch vaccum and other various parts of your car as you drive

Tank:
(No actual EPA numbers for car just used F/E numbers when i first got it)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean in Milwaukee View Post
I'm suprised your not getting better mpg.

I have a manual shift 06 mazda 5 with the non turbo version of the same 2.3 you have, in a even bigger and heavier car. Despite this, my worst tank ever is around 26 and normally I see more like 28 or 29 around town with 30-32 on hwy trips.

All I do to get these numbers on the hwy is use the cruise control and don't speed, and around town I acclerate briskly but short shift, ( as much as I can without lugging the motor) and again no speeding.

I am unsure why you car doesn't do better, it sounds like your doing everything right.
A few considerations to make: Gear ratios, fuel delivery,
cams, wheel size, and don't forget this turbo motor runs notoriously rich. I mean really really rich. The two engines may be the same displacement, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. I would assume that the family friendly 5 would get better mileage. The factory rates the miniminivan at 22 and 28 with a stick.

Still, I'm working on honing my technique before I tackle anything tech, and I've found differences in my shifting habits certainly affect FE. After a drop in mpg following the above 3/4 to full throttle acceleration technique, I went back to babying it, except that I now shift progressively lower as the gear number is numerically higher; i.e., 2500rpm into second, 2250 into 3rd, 2000 into 4th, etc. This seemed to have helped my latest tank a bit. Of course, I completely spaced off the idea of shutting down the engine at the stoplights (duh!) so my mpg likiely would have been a fair bit better. Also with the slick and snowy streets lately, I've been doing more engine braking than coasting for safety reasons. Hopefully this tank I'll be able to coast more, and remember to shut down more. I'm not sure that there is anything else I can do to improve my drving technique substantially. I've also committed to keeping it right at 55 on the expressways, which is a real challenge around here...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pactifica - '17 Chrysler Pacifica LX
I'm enjoying this thread because I'm eeking out 23mph in my 2005 caddy cts with the 6 speed manual-I'll have to try accelerating a little more briskly next tank, I've been shifting early and often, trying to get into 6th at 40mph, that's when things seem best. And I do a lot of coasting in neutral too. Anyway, good luck with your high performance car!

Reply  Post New Thread